desktop vs laptop

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bluebird3, Aug 26, 2013.

1. bluebird3 macrumors regular

Do you feel desktop last longer and more reliable than lap top because it doesn't get moved around so much ? I've always thought Mac for their reliability and doesn't break down easy. Is this same for lap top ( MacBook/pro/air)?

2. eyoungren, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013

eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I think it's just the quality of parts.

TiBook/400 lasted 8 years until the first logicboard died. Lived on with a new logicboard until 2012.

I have two 17" PowerBook G4s. One is seven years old and the other is ten. The oldest one I bought was advertised as being "on it's last legs." It's been four years since then!

My G5 survived from 2005 to 2013 here at work. It's now at home with a new logicboard. The G4/400 PCI next to me has been working since 1999. The same with my co-worker's G4/450.

I have a PowerPC 7200 and 6500 at home and an Apple IIci. All of them work. My son has a 1Ghz Titanium DVI and my wife a 12" PowerBook G4. There's also an iBook Dual USB in the house. None of these Macs are younger than seven. Laptops and Desktops.

3. CapnCrunch53 macrumors member

CapnCrunch53

Apple desktops seem to be very reliable in general, with some exceptions (the power supplies in MDDs, the liquid cooling in the G5s, etc.). I think with laptops it really comes down to how the owner handled it. A laptop in good hands should last a long time. Again there are some specific models with issues, like the ones with the faulty nVidia graphics chips. Another thing to keep in mind is that batteries often go bad in laptops after a few years.

4. powermi macrumors regular

if you need a reliable machine then pick up a powermac g4, but if you prefer a laptop get one of the lastest ibooks g4 on 12" or the 1,67 Ghz powerbook.
    there are some studies about the % of dead machines on all the models.

5. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Are you interested in a PowerPC machine or only the MacBook, MBP, MBA that you mentioned? Apple builds nice laptops, but, as mentioned, there have been some problems with specific models.

A tower is easier to fix if something goes wrong. If there is a GPU failure, swap in a new one. If there is a CPU failure, swap in a new one. Display failure? Plug in another one. You get the idea.

6. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm thinking about the transition to lap top actually. I have g4 mdd currently bought it used on ebay about six years ago.

7. tampasteve macrumors 6502

The intended use should generally determine the machine needed. If you need portability get a laptop or tablett. If you do not then look at a desktop. If you do not need portability then a desktop generally offers more value as it is eaier to fix, upgrade, etc.

That said, you can get G4 iBook laptops for around $75 and G3 iBooks for around $35. That might be a cheap way for you to see if you need a laptop or not.

8. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

The only mac I've ever had die on me was a iSight 17" iMac. That computer was total crap. Everything else I own seems to live.

However... my 3 month old 2012 MacBook Air had to get a new SSD (made by Toshitta, their hard drives fail wayyyy too often). Besides that everything is pretty reliable!

9. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, looking for portability. g4 mdd is working ok except getting slow response when Web browsing. Perhaps it had to do with the connection. i still love my 17" cinema display tho... I don't know what I'll need if i wanted to connect it to a newer lap top ? The cable from the monitor split in four ways....

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you want to connect the Studio Display to a regular DVI connection, you'll need an ADC-DVI adapter, they can get rather pricey at about $75-$90 each. There have been some reports of them not working correctly with late-2012 and newer Macs.