Desktop won't wake; swap drive bay?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jive turkey, Nov 30, 2008.

1. jive turkey macrumors 6502

My mac pro desktop has had issues manually going to sleep ever since the 2nd week I've had it (purchased in March). I have been putting it to bed using the keyboard shortcut with no problem. Unfortunately, I have recently lost the ability to wake the computer up from sleep. If I put it to sleep I end up having to reset it from the power switch, which makes it pointless.

I just read a blog where the author claims to have fixed his sleep problems (which differ from mine) by moving the hard drive to a different bay. Has anyone here tried this? If so, did it work? I have never messed around inside a Mac before (except to blow dust off the components) and I don't want to risk messing things up doing something that will likely be fruitless.

Thanks for you input.

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well, I can't imagine that actually doing anything to fix the problem, but is probably the simplest thing you can do to the Mac Pro, so certainly no reason not to try it.

Just make sure the latch lever on the back is all the way up after you remove the side panel, and pull the drive tray that holds your hard drive straight out towards you. Pull another empty one out, and swap places with the one that has your drive in it. Push them back in their new homes until they are flush with the other trays (will take a little pressure on the tray with the drive in it to seat the connectors) pop the side back on, lower the latch and try it again.

If that does nothing, a trip to an Apple store might be in the cards since unless you purchased Applecare you can't make free support calls to Apple based on you buying it in March (while the warranty itself is for the first full year you have your Mac, the free phone support part of that is only the first 90 days unless you purchased/purchase Applecare).