desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cultodaostra, May 21, 2013.

1. cultodaostra macrumors newbie

hello, i'm new to this forum and not sure if this is the right place to ask my question, but here goes:

when i drag files or icons to my desktop (10.6.8) they immediatelly disappear. how can i use the desktop to store stuff?

thanks!

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Are you dragging them from the dock, or from a finder window? When you drag from the dock, that removes the dock shortcut with a *poof* sound and animation. Dragging from Finder makes a duplicate of the shortcut that can be accessed from the desktop.

3. cultodaostra thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

When you drag icons from the dock they disappear in a "poof". It's just one way of removing icons from the dock. If you look in your "Applications" folder, the disappeared apps will still be there.

I'm not sure, but I don't think they can be put on Desktop. You can bring them up using Launchpad or put them back on the dock by opening the app, and right clicking on the app on the dock and clicking on Options.

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

10.6.8 is pre-launchpad. You can put icons on the desktop if you drag them from the Applications folder in Finder.

6. simsaladimbamba

Which moves the items. To create an alias, press CMD+L and drag the resulting alias to the Desktop or use Alfred to start applications.

In Mac OS X, what is an alias and how does it work?

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

As usual...I'm wrong again!:eek:

You'd think I would have learned by now that I know nothing!:eek:

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That would require you to know something...