Desmay or Apple Bumper?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Phoneinfo, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Phoneinfo macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a thin case to use b/c I hate the extra bulk. Something that's easy to remove out of my pocket. I know the Desmay is only protecting from scratches.

A few questions - Desmay case or Apple Bumper?

Does the Apple Bumper really scratch the phone?

Thanks!

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

if you're worried about scratching the antenna band, just get an icolor wrap sticker and use the bumper.

3. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

desmay offers no front protection ie if you put it on a table

but more importantly if it falls it will hit the edge of the glass = cause it to shatter

I've tried about 5x different minimal cases/bands but I'm done. I recently purchased a brand new Apple bumper and absolutely love it. It feels great, looks good and feels really tight without any movement

One caveat however is that the bumper is not a good case if you like to take your case on and off as this will stretch the bumper and cause it to fit loosely

4. GP_1 macrumors regular

Do NOT get the bumper! It scratched my phone so bad it hurts your eyes just to look at it.

5. ZipZap macrumors 601

If you drop with the bumper the odds are pretty good the phone will also be damaged.

In any case, the desmay is for side and back scratch protection and thats all. Its about as close as you can get to naked.

No one should think the desmay offers any kind of impact protection.

I use the SGP Ultra fine and I am very happy with the combo.

6. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

I dropped my phone several times (at least 15-20x) in my bumper and nothing happened to it. It was looking beat up/sagging and so I took it off, only to drop my phone a week later and have the screen shatter by hitting the corner of the glass

For a uniform stress the weakest point of a piece of glass will always been the edges and corners. The iPhone uses harderned glass but this only applies to the coating applied to the top of the glass, not the edges which have been cut from a larger sheet of glass. The bumper therefore serves its purpose by protecting the glass where it's most vulnerable.

Good PDF of why and how glass breaks
    http://www1.eere.energy.gov/solar/pdfs/pvrw2010_barry.pdf

7. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I've used both the Desmay and the Apple Bumper.

Apple Bumper Pros: Apple Bumper offers the protection discussed here, it offers the minimal protection while keeping the form factor and look of the naked phone. It's fitted perfectly, comes in a variety of colors and looks good.

Apple Bumper Cons: As much as it holds the form factor, it still adds enough size to the top, bottom, and sides to not fit in certain docks, cradles, and cases. The adapter hole on the bottom is small enough to not fit all accessories. I understand the lip creating a bezel along the front and back are there for protection when laying it down, but I was not a fan of it when typing, grabbing, if dosen't feel natural to me on this phone.

Desmay Pros: Form factor conforms to every little curve on the device. It is as close to having the phone naked with the benefit of having at least some protection, it's great scratch protection. Being that it holds the true form of the iPhone, most docks, cradles, and cases should work. The Soft touch is also a big plus, the smooth glass of the naked iPhone is slippery, the Desmay offers enough grip to feel a little more confident from accidents.

Desmay Cons: Lack of protection from drops or falls, hard to put on and take off, holes appear to not line up perfectly to the volume buttons. White logo on the lower rear center. And this is just nitpicking, but the very thin part of it in front of the adapter hole being thin tends to slightly move.

Both look great, but I settled on the Desmay. One of the reasons I love the iPhone is it's form factor, and the Desmay lets me enjoy that to the fullest, they really paid such incredible attention to detail to every fine curve, bend, and cut of the phone when they molded these.

Another option you might want to take a look at is the Snap style cases, either Incase Snap, Incipio Feather, or Casemate Barely There. Adds minimal size (Less than the Bumper) easy to install and remove, and offers a little more protection than the Desmay.

8. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Great summation of your feedback on both! I have a question regarding the Desmay though, will it fit with a back screen protector on the phone?

9. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Thank you :)

Unfortunately I do not know. The case fits tightly and perfectly to the iPhone, I would guess it might be possible to get away with it, but I wouldn't find it necessary to need both.

10. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Yes. I no longer use Apple (and China's) bumpers as they have marred the metal case :( I have little smears and smudges on the metal, not scratches, but surface deformations. If you are going to use a bumper, use a skin wrap around the metal like from luckylabs or something similar to protect the metal.