Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I want a case like the Desmay Slight but with lay flat protection. Is there such a thing for the iPhone 5?

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
The Photive Natural Slim has a small amount of lay-flat protection, but it's so small that there's a fair amount of skepticism. A lot of Amazon reviews claim it has none, and I've corresponded with one poster on here that says his is touching the table on one side.

I tested mine with paper slid underneath the screen, as well as holding it up to light, and can say that mine gives maybe a mm of buffer, if that, but there's definitely a little bit of raised bezel at the corners (but not at the sides).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0097BZNPK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

AlterZgo

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
I'm genuinely curious - why do people want the "lay flat protection" for the front glass? It's gorilla glass that virtually never scratches or breaks as long as you're not dropping it from arm height onto concrete. Additionally, who actually lays their phone down glass first on a table anyway? Mine is always face up so I can see who's calling, texting, emails, etc.

I have a case that has glass protection. What I find is the lip around the glass immediately captures dust and pocket lint all the time. It's also harder to wipe the front face as dust just gets caught at the edge where the lip meets the glass if you try to wipe the front. Furthermore, the lip makes it slightly harder to register finger taps at the sides of the LCD screen.

I've since ditched my case with "lay flat" protection and the front of the phone stays much cleaner and easier to keep dust and smudge free with a simple swipe across my jeans.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Why don't you get the Desmay Slight and just never lay it on the screen? If you don't like the phone lighting up your room at night, turn on Do Not Disturb.

I think that'll be easier than searching for the case you described. I doubt it exists because a thin edge that sticks up past the screen would be prone to cracking.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I'm genuinely curious - why do people want the "lay flat protection" for the front glass? It's gorilla glass that virtually never scratches or breaks as long as you're not dropping it from arm height onto concrete. Additionally, who actually lays their phone down glass first on a table anyway? Mine is always face up so I can see who's calling, texting, emails, etc.

I have a case that has glass protection. What I find is the lip around the glass immediately captures dust and pocket lint all the time. It's also harder to wipe the front face as dust just gets caught at the edge where the lip meets the glass if you try to wipe the front. Furthermore, the lip makes it slightly harder to register finger taps at the sides of the LCD screen.

I've since ditched my case with "lay flat" protection and the front of the phone stays much cleaner and easier to keep dust and smudge free with a simple swipe across my jeans.

Why don't you get the Desmay Slight and just never lay it on the screen? If you don't like the phone lighting up your room at night, turn on Do Not Disturb.

I think that'll be easier than searching for the case you described. I doubt it exists because a thin edge that sticks up past the screen would be prone to cracking.

I would like some protection for the front bc I have two boys. They play with my phone. While I have AppleCare+, I still would like some sort of protection for it when they are using it.

phillypharm

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2012
I would like some protection for the front bc I have two boys. They play with my phone. While I have AppleCare+, I still would like some sort of protection for it when they are using it.

just don't let them use it.. :eek:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I'm genuinely curious - why do people want the "lay flat protection" for the front glass? It's gorilla glass that virtually never scratches or breaks as long as you're not dropping it from arm height onto concrete.

A. It's not gorilla glass.
B. Even if it was, gorilla glass scratches too.
C. Check the main iPhone forum if you're really curious; new posts about faint, mysterious or unexpected scratches on the screen show up weekly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.