Desperate for help with Time Machine

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by killianb, Oct 29, 2008.

1. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

Ok guys, I'm really struggling here!! Here's the story -- I previously had an old MacBook Pro which I sold on eBay to raise money towards a new MacBook. Before sending the Pro off, I backed everything up with Time Machine.

My new MacBook arrived today and I thought it would be a simple process to restore my new MacBook from my Time Machine backup. However, it isn't!! I've tried every possible method I can think of and nothing works. It either says 'Transfer Error' or just stops.

When I look at the error logs etc, it says 'permission denied'.

I phoned Apple support who told me to just drag everything from my Time Machine backup in to the relevant folders on my computer, which I proceeded to do. However, with many files I get the error 'you do not have sufficient privileges'!?!?

This is really starting to frustrate me. Can anyone shed any light on this and tell me what I'm doing wrong or how this issue can be resolved?

Thanks in advance!

2. killianb thread starter macrumors regular

killianb

Anyone know how I can remove the permissions/privileges?

3. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Are you trying to restore or are you using migration assistant? I think you can only restore from the original computer.

4. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

I think it'll be difficult for you to transfer the system files by "just dragging them over". Your apps probably won't work properly if you somehow got them over. It's best that you reinstall your apps. However, let's try to get your documents transferred over.

In your new computer, did you use the same account name and password as your old one. If not, try that.
    Can you copy individual document file over, or sub-folders, rather than the whole 'Documents' folder?

Also, the above post has a good point. Try to use 'Migration Assistant' under 'Utility'. There is an option for TM backup.

5. killianb thread starter macrumors regular

killianb

Both really, I am trying to restore but one of my methods was to use Migration Assistant then 'restore from Time Machine Backup'.

So I take it I've lost everything?

6. killianb thread starter macrumors regular

killianb

Yes, I am using the same account name and password.

This is what I was doing but even with certain photos I get the 'privileges' error.

7. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

Migration assistant should be able to do it, or from the point you set up the new macbook. I just replaced my late 2006 MBP with a new MBP and set it up from the get-go with my time capsule. If Migration Assistant doesn't work, you might want to look here on how to restore a Time Capsule to a new machine. I tried briefly last night but it didn't work the first time but I didn't feel like trying again. Let me know how it goes for you if you try it. Good luck!

8. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

How do you mean 'just stops', using migration assistant it will literally take hours just initialising...

9. killianb thread starter macrumors regular

killianb

Thanks for the info. I have found that page, but I can't seem to bring up the MAC address of my old Time Machine backup?!

10. killianb thread starter macrumors regular

killianb

It just stops reading the external hard drive and freezes. I left it for about an hour but the progress bar didn't move.

11. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

For the files that are giving you this error, right click, choose 'Get info', and take a look at 'Sharing & Permission'. The Privilege should be 'Read & Write' for all of (Me), staff and everyone. If not, click the lock icon at the lower right corner to unlock and change the Privilege.

Now try copying the files over again.

12. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

are you sure it is freezing and not just thinking? what does it say it is doing at that point? I would leave it overnight, won't do any harm...

13. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

Hmm, it might apply only to Time Capsules, not just any TM backup. Did you try "Start from Time Machine backup" when you turned on your MB for the first time? That always seems to be the easiest way.

14. killianb thread starter macrumors regular

killianb

Is says 'Read & Write' for 'Me' and 'Staff' but not for 'Everyone'.

The lock is greyed out and I am unable to click it!

15. killianb thread starter macrumors regular

killianb

Definitely freezing! The first time it got to 0.9%, the second time it got to 1.1% and the third time it got to 2.4%, then it just freezes!

16. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

My lock was active...

You may want to go to Disk utility and try to repair the permission of your external drive. I haven't try that one myself, so I don't know if it'll do any harm. So you may want to do it as a last resort.

17. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

well at least you made progress each time, just try it another 300 times ;)

sorry, not much help, i'll have a think...

18. killianb thread starter macrumors regular

killianb

Ah, this is where it gets even more worrying -- verify/repair permissions is greyed out too -- if I try to click simply just verify/repair, I get an error and the disk ejects.

Then, when I plug it back in, it takes ages to mount and says I only have 'limited access' or something like that and that I should backup and format as soon as!

19. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

Have you tried using Disk Warrior to repair the disk? That might help.

20. killianb thread starter macrumors regular

killianb

Hmmmm..... no, I haven't!

I will try that and let you know!

21. ptsube macrumors 6502

You could try reinstalling the OS on your machine. Then when you are going through the initial walk through it asks you if you want to restore from a backup. I used this method and it worked for me. It took about two and a half hours for 110GB's.

Did you have File Vault turned on?

22. northy014 macrumors regular

Have you got an apple store near you? Take it to the genius bar.