iPod DESPERATE FOR HELP!!!

agiorgiox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
3
0
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum, but I desperately need some help! I have an Ipod for Windows. Well I have noticed that my ipod doesnt hold its charge well. It will un-charge fairly quick, and without it beig used. Can someone please explain why. By the way I got for Christmas so its fairly new, and hardly used.

My biggest problem however, is the following. When I first got my ipod I had MSN. I have now recently changed my internet to dsl from dial up. Could someone please explain to me how to change the internet connection for iTunes. It doesnt let me go to the mac store to download songs, and wont get the name of songs automatically when I put a CD in. Im pretty sure its because iTunes thinks that im still on dial up and not connected to the internet. Can someone please help me!
 

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
980
2
Charles City, Iowa
agiorgiox said:
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum, but I desperately need some help! I have an Ipod for Windows. Well I have noticed that my ipod doesnt hold its charge well. It will un-charge fairly quick, and without it beig used. Can someone please explain why. By the way I got for Christmas so its fairly new, and hardly used.
Well, I guess I should ask how fast the iPod is draining, because batteries slowly lose energy if they aren't used (especially if you have synced your clock and it has to continually compute the time.)

agiorgiox said:
My biggest problem however, is the following. When I first got my ipod I had MSN. I have now recently changed my internet to dsl from dial up. Could someone please explain to me how to change the internet connection for iTunes. It doesnt let me go to the mac store to download songs, and wont get the name of songs automatically when I put a CD in. Im pretty sure its because iTunes thinks that im still on dial up and not connected to the internet. Can someone please help me!
To change your preferences here, select the iTunes menu in the upper left and select preferences. (This may be under a different menu if you are using a PC, which you said you were? :eek:) Then check the box next to "Connect to the Internet when needed." Also, if you can't see the Music Store, under Store preferences make sure the button next to "Show Music Store" is checked.

Billicus :)
 

agiorgiox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
3
0
Billicus said:
Well, I guess I should ask how fast the iPod is draining, because batteries slowly lose energy if they aren't used (especially if you have synced your clock and it has to continually compute the time.)
Thank you very much for showing me how to change my internet connection. It worked just as you explained it. Thanks.

Well if its fully charged and I use it, for a little bit (30 mins), leave it not charging. The next time I check it (24 hours) it'll be completely drained. How can I sync my clock? Im not very computer literate. Thanks
 

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
980
2
Charles City, Iowa
agiorgiox said:
Thank you very much for showing me how to change my internet connection. It worked just as you explained it. Thanks.

Well if its fully charged and I use it, for a little bit (30 mins), leave it not charging. The next time I check it (24 hours) it'll be completely drained. How can I sync my clock? Im not very computer literate. Thanks
I can't remember how I managed to get the clock onto my iPod at one time either, I think it was iSync under an earlier version of OS X. If you can't find it in your iPod, then don't worry about that. Make sure you're shutting the iPod off after you use it (holding the play button for a few seconds) and not just letting it sit there.

Billicus :)
 

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
3,968
3
agiorgiox said:
Thank you very much for showing me how to change my internet connection. It worked just as you explained it. Thanks.

Well if its fully charged and I use it, for a little bit (30 mins), leave it not charging. The next time I check it (24 hours) it'll be completely drained. How can I sync my clock? Im not very computer literate. Thanks
I've had my iPod (a 40GB photo) since February, and I haven't used it for a week. I'm not sure how completely it was charged then, but it's about 3/4 charged now.
 

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
772
1
In a Mauve Dream
Did you set the alarm function by chance?

If you did, the iPod will play music every day for two hours. It will considerably drain the battery.
 

agiorgiox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
3
0
Balin64 said:
Did you set the alarm function by chance?

If you did, the iPod will play music every day for two hours. It will considerably drain the battery.
Oh my goodness! I had an alarm for 1:05 am. No wonder it would drain the battery! Thanks guys. I hope this fixes it. I have the new 4th generation. Anything else that can possibly drain the battery. You guys are great.
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,803
1,257
New Zealand
You should fully discharge and recharge the iPod every month. This keeps the battery running properly. :)
 

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
32,191
5
Adelaide, Australia
Nermal said:
You should fully discharge and recharge the iPod every month. This keeps the battery running properly. :)

Thanks Nermal. I've always wondered if iPods needed calibrating too and I've been meaning to start a thread on that. I figured they would since they're Li-Ion too (I think), but I haven't found anything on Apple's site about it. I try to do it monthly all the same. :)
 

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
1,231
1
Nermal said:
You should fully discharge and recharge the iPod every month. This keeps the battery running properly. :)
Don't tell Adam_Ant that. He thinks you're supposed to short-circuit it to keep it running properly.
 

Applespider

macrumors G4
sambo. said:
another customer discovers the battery in an iPod surx
:mad:
If it's only got a 30 minute charge left after listening for 30 minutes then there's something wrong with it and if he takes it into an Apple store and shows them it, chances are they'll get it sorted/replaced if they can recreate that. Btw, have you got the backlight permanently on? That would drain the battery fairly quickly too.

The battery on an iPod isn't that bad - particularly the 4G ones. I've gone from London to San Francisco on a single charge when it was on for pretty much 10 hours continuously plus a couple of either side of that.
 

the_freddinator

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
200
0
SE PA
A couple other ways that would drain the iPod's battery are:

a) if you're songs are in a high-quality format- iPods work best w/ AAC's
b) heat- If you have the iPod in your pocket or perhaps sitting in the sun or whatever that could cause a problem
c) Your case is severe, but my first iPod had some problems holding it's charge. I can't quite remember if it was to the extent of your problem. I remember having it in my side pocket (on painter's pants) throughout school then pulling it out on the bus to find I had less than half battery. (yes it was off and on hold the whole time..i'm not an idiot)

Whatever the problem..if turning off the alarm didn't fix it, call up apple or bring it to the apple store. They'll make sure to give you a refurb'd iPod that'll break in a another few months :p
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.