Desperate help : Messed up fonts!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alexmarce, Mar 7, 2011.

  1. alexmarce macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    #1
    hello.
    I need desperate help!

    I´ve installed a few fonts yesterday, i now restarted my mac, and when i use google, the results come in a weird font that i can even read most of the words.
    Do you have any idea what i can do to fix this ?
     
  2. davidlv macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2009
    Location:
    Kyoto, Japan
    #2
    What browser are you using? Have you tried looking in that browser's preferences - Appearance - default fonts?
    or the View - Text Encoding pull down menu?
    You should also use Font Book - Edit - Resolve Duplicates to make sure you do not have 2 or more of the same type face active.
    Try that and post back with the results.
     
  3. alexmarce thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    #3
    tried it

    hi
    I am using safari!
    Yes i checked the preferences for safari and inclusively i reset it !
    There are no duplicates and the text encoding is the one by default ... :(

    any suggestions ?

    thank you
     
  4. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

    mrchinchilla

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2009
    #4
    I remember having this problem a couple of months ago, IIRC it was Times New Roman that was corrupted, I simply replaced it with the font from my backups and everything was instantly fixed.
     
  5. alexmarce thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    #5
    :)

    I am looking for a way to restore the originals in the font book and then install all the fonts again to see what will happen :(
     
  6. svenwillmann macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #6
    it might be that your font cache is corrupted, had this once before
    the font cache is used to get faster future access
    atsutil will let you clear the font cache and will let you restart the type services

    1) fire up terminal and do

    $ sudo atsutil databases -remove

    2) than stop the server by entering following in terminal

    $ sudo atsutil server -shutdown

    3) after that you might have to restart your machine, let me know if it helped

    let us know if it solved the problem
     
  7. alexmarce thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    #7
    GOT it!

    The thing was that some fonts i installed had "camouflaged" names ...
    They had one name on the file, and then when installed they got another .. Arial and times new roman ... so the system was using them as the original ones :)

    solved

    thank you all
    Alexandra
     

Share This Page