Desperate help needed to install 10.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ScotRobson, Dec 11, 2007.

1. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

Hi all

I really hope someone can help me. My dad has my old G3 iMac and has just bought his partner a new iPod Nano, but it wont work as he is still on 10.3.

He can not install 10.4 as he doesnt have a dvd drive. Does anyone have any old 10.4 cd install disks or know of any other way that we can install 10.4 for him.

I have seen people mentioning making an iso or something but I dont understand that and would need help doing it if that was my only option.

Many thanks
    Scot

2. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

3. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You need one of the old FW-enabled iPods to go this route... the G3 iMacs have only got USB 1 and won't boot from that. What you really need is another, more contemporary, Mac that you can connect to the G3 with Ethernet or Firewire with. Or an external FW DVD drive for the G3.

5. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok i thought it might be the problem with the iPod, my older iPod that does support firewire wont start up either!!!!! So if all else fails can i bring my dads computer to my house and connect it to my G5 with firewire and do it that way? Also is there a guide on how to do that as I also dont have an external FW DVD drive.

Many thanks
    Scot

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's the way to do it. Read this, about Target Disk Mode and check all the system requirements very carefully:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

7. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the help. I managed to do it today - so now the iPod will work for Christmas! :)