Desperate: Just delete all my gmail inbox via mail.app and cant restore...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by applesuper, Aug 4, 2009.

1. applesuper macrumors member

I was trying to set up an imap sync with my gmail account so I deleted the previous inbox in mail app, a pop one, thinking it would not affect my mails stored in gmail.

Now they are nowhere, neither in the trash of my mac, nor on my iphone (on the last update, it got updated to an empty inbox ), nor in the gmail via a web browser....

Pleeeasssseee if any of you geniuses here know a workaround to that....

At least can I restore my mail from an iphone backup and then back to mail.app.

And where the heck did the messages go, shouldn't pop only delete one way....

Any undelete apps somewhere to use.

I am incredibly freaked out by all this....

EEDDDIIITTT:

Things are getting better, but still very bizzare, there's a folde in the mail.app gmail where all my mail thankfully is, BUT in the gmail interface the inbox in empty, and the mail is not there, and the inbox is empty in the iphone and powerbook too, although the sent folder is in all full albeit in the macs the mail.app (and the iphone) sent folder is full and there does not appear to be a sent folder within the gmail folder....this is just so strange....

Can I just get a reasonable imap sync google/apple please without this mess????

All with imap btw...can someone please explain this mess....please.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

so you want to change from pop to imap?

from your description, your pop setting didn't leave message on the server? if thats the case, you can only hope to recover it from the disk.

if thats the case, you want to stop using your computer right now, until you figure out a solution, this is to avoid overwritten of the disk space just being vacated by mail.app.

Im no mail.app expert, so i just offer this suggestion and wait for other people who know it to help you more.

3. applesuper thread starter macrumors member

hey clevin thanks!

as per the latest I have updated everything to imap yet I get all sorts of wierd results, like mail appearing on both iphone and mac yet not on the server....