Desperate measure

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ezekielrage_99, Dec 30, 2007.

1. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Not sure if to LOL or not with this because it's kind of tragic and funny at the same time, a little bit like a clown getting hit by a truck.

HERE

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Not really funny.
    Sad actually, the lenghts people go to get into a country.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It also shows how bad it must be in the countries that they are from.

The engine one amazed me.

4. ezekielrage_99 thread starter macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

The way people are trying to get out of their homelands is tragic, they way it looks from some of those picture is kind of funny (honestly dressing up as a car seat does have a little of the lol factor).

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

hmm they have the illusion that the country they are trying to get into is better than where they living.

I know many people from eastern european countries who left in the 80-90's to go to the US, Canada, and Australia who then realized the american dream is just a dream and most people will not attain it. And now those same people are going back to the home countries.

Nowadays alot of illegal and legal immigrants from the eastern bloc countries usually got back after a while.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

There are a couple of reasons for this:

- One, the quality of life has greatly improved in these Eastern Bloc countries.

- Two, many folks tend to want to return to their homeland.

I was over in Europe in the early 80's and saw how bad it was in places like East Germany. One word comes to mind. Desolate.

Things have changed over the past 20 years to say the least.

As for the US and the dream. It is still there and quite alive. But you have to work at it. It doesn't come free. Unfortunately, our society is evolving into what I like to call a McDonald's one -- as in we want instant gratification. Success requires hard work and sacrifice. Sure there are some exceptions, but ask folks who are really successful and most will tell you the same.

Most in the US have no idea how well we have it. Unfortunately.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

This is one thing that never made much sense to me. Since their goal is to live in the country and will have to find a job that pays under the table and a residence that does not require proper identification. Why not simply fly to your destination with luggage and go in through customs with a travel VISA. Then do the disappearing act. It is not like if you go through customs that they drug you and implant a tracking chip to find you if you don't leave the country in two weeks.

For the £10,000 you could arrive coach, and have plenty left over to last a few months while finding work maybe even enough for a Macbook too:D.

8. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Wow. These people don't seem very bright. Leaving a country by those means.

9. angelneo macrumors 68000

I think those immgrants that resort to this are usually not educated and don't even have access to those knowledge.

10. Soschil macrumors member

Depending on your country of origin it can be very difficult if not outright impossible to get a visa for European (Schengen) countries. Ie. you may have to have an invitation from a European citizen - this is verified by the authorities - you have to have sufficient funds for the stay, medical insurance, a return ticket etc etc.

11. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

My opinion may be overly simplistic, particularly since I won the genetic-geographic lottery and was born caucasian in Canada, but here it is: If everybody leaves when something is wrong, who will fix the problem? I didn't have to fight for my lifestyle (my forefathers did), but I would fight to defend it.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in immigration as a matter of course. But when regional or territorial disputes causes mass migration, that's tantamount to allowing the school bully to run the schoolyard. Democracy* is hard won, and harder still to keep when the will of the few control the lives of so many.

* By Democracy I mean a functional government exercising the will of the people, for the good of the people. Not the kind in actual use by the bigger Name-Brand countries.

12. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I doubt the battles our forefathers fought were as uphill as the ones many would face in their respective homelands.

13. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Depends how far back, and in which direction you travel, I imagine.

14. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I guess they'd leave by another means if they could ;)

15. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Good god, on one hand, I feel for them wanting to seek refuge, but I mean, we can't let them all in, or we'd be overun with them, it's a tough call.

Although if you read the daily mail, 74 million make it through our borders illegally everyday anyway :rolleyes: