Desperate: Need to Convert .wmv to mp3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JPRogers, Oct 20, 2009.

1. JPRogers macrumors newbie

I am an audio transcriptionist. I am new to mac.

For my transcription I use a program called ExpressScribe http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/ It works great on mac.

I need this program because it allows me to use my foot pedal. Using a foot pedal increases my speed. Increased speed means increased salary.

Here's the problem.

I have a rush file due tomorrow. It came to me in an .wmv format. I can not ask for it to be converted. This file automatically downloads into quicktime.

I have to convert this file to an mp3 so I can open it with my ExpressScribe.

I tried using "switch" (offered by the same company that brought me ExpressScribe), however because the file downloads automatically into quicktime I don't know what to do.

I need to find a way to save this to my desktop as an mp3 or open it in itunes.

Can any of you recommend a converter program that is simple to use?

2. rowsdower macrumors 6502

If it's not a copy protected WMV I'm pretty sure iTunes for Windows can do it. You will have to set the encoding preferences to MP3. I don't think iTunes for Mac can do it. But if you have access to a Windows computer, you could use that.

3. jackerin macrumors 6502a

If you get to the file by clicking a link, you can save it by clicking the link while keeping the alt-key on the keyboard pressed.

If it uses javascript or other schemes, try the save as function in Firefox.

4. JPRogers thread starter macrumors newbie

Y'all are quick.

Jackerin: Okay, I should be trying to download it in FireFox and not Safari?

I don't have access to a windows machine.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

There is an add-on to Quick Time called "flip for mac". It's from Microsoft and alows QT to read microsoft media files. The "lite" version is free. After yo have this instaled you can open the files in QT then do the "save as" and select the desired format.

The neat thing about working as a QT plug in is that now every Mac program that uses QT can also read these files. If your software was written follomw Apple's rules then if you are llucky it just might be aple to read the file directly without conversion

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wmcomponents.mspx

6. JPRogers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Chris. I do have all of that (including flip 4 mac). However, quicktime is not permitting me the "save" or "save as" option.

I am downloading it now in FireFox. Unlike Safari, firefox gives me an option of where to save, so I am trying to save it in Switch.

It just sucks because it takes an hour for the file to download.

Anyway, in one hour I will know if it worked.

7. JPRogers thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

wmv is a windows video file.
    MP3 is audio.

What you want to do is "extract" the audio portion right?

The only thing that will do that is the "Pro" version of Flip4Mac.

Which you have to pay for.

[edit]

I figured out how to do it.

Download the FREE version of flip4mac..And make sure it's updated
    Download mpeg streamclip here : http://www.squared5.com/
    Open the wmv file using mpeg streamclip and in the menu select file>export audio.Then use the dropdown menu to select mp3.

And there ya go!

[/edit]