Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia, EU
Hi all,
my Macbook Pro 13" 2010 with OS X Mavericks get stuck and crashed by simple using "space keyboard" to preview a picture. When I tried to turn it on, it wasn't possible to get through the spinning wheel and Apple logo disappeared.

- By rebooting, I used ALT+CMD+P+R to resetting the PRAM, I tried CMD+R to Recovery OS X, SHIFT to Safe Boot, and even ALT to Reinstall OS X and CMD+SHIFT+R to Internet Recovery.
- I got Time Machine Backup, which I can't use to Restore as well because OS X Installer still just "Searching for disks..."
- Then I used Disk Utility: to Verify Disk, Repair Disk, Partition and at the end, Erase to Format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with a message: "Disk Erase failed with the error: Unable to write to the last block of the device."
Disk Utility missing part under the internal HDD?:
IMG_1204.JPG

- As last option I used Terminal with the command "diskutil list" with this resolution:
IMG_1206.JPG

I tried following commnads:
- diskutil unmount force /dev/disk0
- diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ Test /dev/disk0
- date 042109582011 and current time as well
- disk0 is without GUID_partition_scheme (GPT), EFI and HFS, but Terminal can't recognize the command "sudo" to edit something (/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin), and I see also notice "no corestorage logical volume groups found" after put command "diskutil cs list"
...as much I'm Googling, as much I feel more and more lost in this stuff

What I did wrong? It all caused OS X Mavericks? When I got previous version of OS X I have't any problem like this.
Can anybody help me out of this circle please?

Thank you guys in advance for any advises,
Peter

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You did nothing wrong at all.... it looks to me like you have a bad drive there and until you get it replaced nothing you can do will fix this.

It is far less common, but a bad drive cable can also cause this.

Where do you live? If in the US any tech store will have 2.5" laptop hard drives in stock that will work as a replacement and it is fairly easy to do.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Your hard drive died.

Amazon will have a suitable replacement (2.5" SATA) available.

Buy one and fit it and you're good.

petler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia, EU
You did nothing wrong at all.... it looks to me like you have a bad drive there and until you get it replaced nothing you can do will fix this.

It is far less common, but a bad drive cable can also cause this.

I took off my HDD from Macbook Pro and I connected it with iMac, where I could finally make partitions, verify or repair disk again. Everything looks fine with HDD. It can indicate that Flex cable could be damaged, bec. on Macbook Pro I still can't changing partitions, erasing etc. with error "Couln't unmount disk." and by Restore from Time Machine Backup or Reinstall OS X Mountain Lion I'm still getting the same error messages: "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again."

Here are info about disk and it's partitions from Disk Utility:
IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

Thank you in advance for helping me to move along.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I took off my HDD from Macbook Pro and I connected it with iMac, where I could finally make partitions, verify or repair disk again. Everything looks fine with HDD. It can indicate that Flex cable could be damaged, bec. on Macbook Pro I still can't changing partitions, erasing etc. with error "Couln't unmount disk." and by Restore from Time Machine Backup or Reinstall OS X Mountain Lion I'm still getting the same error messages: "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again."

If you are able to format/erase etc and disk verify shows everything fine when in the enclosure attached to the iMac, then it acts up when put back in the MacBook again, yes that points to a bad cable.

It is I suppose possible the drive is bad and just acting up intermittently, but what you are seeing does sound like the MacBook cable is bad.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Good to hear you got it running again without too much trouble.

I, too, have a 2010 MBPro 13", and the best upgrade I ever did was to install an SSD in place of the old hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.