Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sandmann41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Frederick, Md
My fiance spent 2 hours mking an iPhoto book and iPhoto crashed. When she reopened it the book hadn't been autosaving like it should have.
Is there a temp file anywhere that this info is in, or any other way to get the work back?

snowdog

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2004
Visby, Sweden
sandmann41 said:
My fiance spent 2 hours mking an iPhoto book and iPhoto crashed. When she reopened it the book hadn't been autosaving like it should have.
Is there a temp file anywhere that this info is in, or any other way to get the work back?

Try to post here as well (It's the official Apple forum) http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=852
There seems to be a lot of experienced users at that forum.
(Yeah I know, there are some here as well :D )

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
When you re-opened iPhoto, was the whole photo album empty, or were there just some changes you had made in that session missing?

If it's the former, then there is a bug in iPhoto that sometimes causes it to launch and think there is no photo album there. You can fix this by closing iPhoto, and holding it while holding down the Option key. A window will pop up, and say that iPhoto needs an album to contine. Point it to yours (should be in your pictures directory), and it should return to normal.

If it's the latter, iPhoto doesn't database changes like, say, Aperture does, or Photoshop does when you're working in Photoshop native format. What iPhoto does instead is makes a copy of the file as the original, and then permanently modifies one copy while holding the other one. So I'm not sure how this could have happened. It isn't like iPhoto periodically saves things. It changes the file from the very beginning, pretty much. So I don't think there're temporary files of the sort you are looking for. If you look inside a folder in your iPhoto library, for a specific date, you'll see an "originals" folder, and then the images in the root of that date directory will be the modified ones....

You might also be able to benefit from rebuilding your library. You do this by launching iPhoto while holding Option-Apple.

Please say if any of this helps? :(

sandmann41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Frederick, Md
Applespider said:
Probably not I'm afraid. The iPhoto books 'save' strangely - it seems like you need to click out of the Book and into the Library every so often to ensure that they save otherwise, if iPhoto doesn't quit properly, your whole book will go poof...

Damn that sucks.
She actually was going back and forth between the book and the library, still was saving it though. It only saved the first 3 pages :( .

sandmann41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Frederick, Md
To the other replies, it isn't the album I am having trouble with, all pics are in there. It is the book that didn't save.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

sandmann41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Frederick, Md
I posted a message on the apple support forum as suggest, thank you.

I tried to rebuild but iPhoto just opens normally without giving me any dialog to rebuild.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I think you have to quit and relaunch iPhoto for your progress on photo books to be saved. A crash likely means it's gone for good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.