Desperately lloking for advice: macbook pro / I Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Peter Reunis, May 28, 2011.

1. Peter Reunis macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm really a newby to the Apple-world;
    For home-use , we currently have a Toshiba portable that's reaching it's end-of -life (defects on screen, slow,...) which is normal after 5 y.
    This portable is being used in the living room, so that we can keep an eye on our kid's internet-activities (12& 9 y old) and put it away when not used...
    We're considering to switch to Apple (user-experience, speed,...),:
    -either the new 21" I-Mac: but my wife doesn't like that she cannot put it away that easily
    - either an Apple-portable.
    So looking into the Apple portable line-up, I was looking far a 15" screen or above... so Macbook not an option, neither for the Mac book air... So we're ending up with a Mac Book pro, but although this is a fantastic machine- it seems a bit overkill for what we use it for (email, surfing the net; some Photoshop elements work): we don't e.g; require a superperforming I7-processor.

So... that's the delemma: why buying a computer that is approx double as expensive as a regular Windows-portable. Can some-one help me to convince myself ?

Many thanks,

Peter

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Are you sure 13" is not enough? It may seem small on paper but at least in my experience, once you go 13", you won't look back. Secondly, most ~15" PCs may have a bigger screen but the resolution is often worse than MacBook's. The resolution determines how many windows fit on the screen. I would go to an Apple store or reseller and take a look at the 13" in real world.

If you want 15", take a look at refurbs. Previous gen 15" goes for as low as 1269$. Refurbs are as good as new so there is nothing to worry about that part.