Desperately need advice please!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cperchard, Oct 4, 2011.

1. cperchard macrumors 6502a

Hi, i currently have a UK unlocked iphone 4........had it since official release day, so out of warranty now.......no scratches or anything, still looks new, been treated well.

Only problem is, the sim tray wont open!! I've been to apple store and they said they can take the sim out but that requires dismantling it and wont be able to put it back together.

I bought the phone outright as so when the new iphone came out i could sell this and buy the new one, i hate contracts.....but i need my sim out.....and no one will buy a dismantled iphone. If i leave sim in, then i cant sell it either cos whoever buys it wont be able to put their sim in.

Any advice what to do? Please help!! :)

2. cperchard thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Did something break in the tray mechanism? How did it get stuck?

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I don't understand...if the Apple Store can/would dismantle it, why wouldn't they put it back together?

Also, are you sure it's really stuck? It can be a pain to open, so maybe try a bit harder. Alternatively, you could try something hooked and strong like a dental pick to simply pull it straight out.

5. only macrumors regular

6. cperchard thread starter macrumors 6502a

its proper buggered......tried so many things.......the "genius" at apple say its proper jammed somehow......dunno why they cant put it back together :(

whats the best way i can get some money back somehow?

----------

i have no idea, probably me jabbing it too hard or in a weird way?

7. lellis2k macrumors 6502

lellis2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I took apart my phone to repair the home button, sim tray is much easier to get to, look for iPhone 4 tear down on ifixit website, buy a £5 iPhone repair kit from eBay

8. only macrumors regular

finally, the real crux of the matter.

9. cperchard thread starter macrumors 6502a

err....i was never denying it....i said in original post if u read it my plan is to buy new one and sell this!?!

----------

will look into that thanks........

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

There is no way if Apple takes it apart to fix that they can not put it back together.

Honesty is alwats best:rolleyes:

11. cperchard thread starter macrumors 6502a

so u think they are B.S ing me?? shall i go back and ask for someone elses opinion? i didnt know if they meant dismantle it as in rip it to pieces.....cos they did say i had to pay the warranty replacement fee of around £130 for a new one??

12. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

So the best options are probably:

- See if the Apple Store will put it back together (I'm sure they can, as they wouldn't purposefully break open an iPhone in a destructive way).

- Try opening it yourself. There are guides from iFixit and it probably isn't that hard.

- Call your phone company and see if they can take that SIM card off of your account and transfer it to the next owner. This way, you don't have to open it at all.

13. cperchard thread starter macrumors 6502a

Some nice ideas, thanks man

14. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Go the iFixit route - http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Teardown/3130/1

I had to change the front LCD on my iPhone 4 before I ended up selling it and it really wasn't bad. To get to the SIM you don't have to do as much taking apart either as if you were removing the screen.

As long as you follow the guide, there isn't reason for issue.