Desperately need suggestions for repair.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Soccer1725, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Soccer1725 macrumors newbie

So this is the worst time of the term this could happen. My 15" MacBook Pro wont start up. To preface things I bought it the summer of 2007. I didn't buy Apple Care because I have an extended warranty since I bought it with my Visa (good or bad I don't know) which is good till this June. I have had to replace the logic board before when it was still under Apple warranty. One of two things happen when I hit the power button:

1. There is no sound at all, nothing comes up on the screen and the "sleep" light comes on, blinks a few times then stays on but nothing else happens.

2. There is sound, nothing displays on the screen but I know it has booted up because I can change the volume level and hear it change.

I am hoping someone has some idea what I should expect if I take it into either an Apple store (1 hour away) or a certified repair center here. Please help!

2. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I think if you can adjust the sound that means your screen is out.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Call Apple first.

You definitely need to take it somewhere, however, I don't know if the Apple Store will honor your Visa warranty. You'll probably have to contact Visa to get it repaired.

4. joebob4 macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    I think your ram went dead !, the cheapest way to fix is going out and buy a stick of so-dimm for your Mac, try to pull out the old one and replace w/ the new.
    then try to start the Mac if it worked otherwise bring back the memory and get the refund
    good luck my friend

5. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

Dude, don't listen to any of these people. Take it to a trusted Apple repair center, not apple, but an authorized dealer/repair shop. Let them find out whats wrong and then get the quote to your credit card. They will pay you for whatever they say it costs as long as you have all the documents they want. If the cost of the repair is really high, like near the cost of a new machine, you can get payed by your card and just buy a new computer. Once they give you the repair money its yours to do as you please.

I have some non serious issues with my screen and latch - would cost 1k to fix. So I got the money, I'm selling my computer as is, and buying a new 17 incher.

6. Halsey12 macrumors regular

Mine did all of those same things and it was a logic board that needed to be replaced.

7. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

make sure to book an appointment with an apple genius.