desperately seeking help with virus!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by parlem, Jun 10, 2010.

1. parlem macrumors member

Hello, everyone.

I've been lurking since the Waiting for Arrandale thread in the MBP forum but this is my first post. I have one of the new i7 MacBook pros and I'm really hoping someone can help me. I've searched the forum archives, but have not been able to find the information I need.

Bckground:

A week ago my email service provider deactivated my email addresses temporarily. They said spam was being sent from them every 10 minutes. I'm self-employed and one of the addresses affected was my work address. As you can imagine, this was a major problem.

The company in question manages a couple of domains I own and all my addresses except, of course, my MobileMe address. I'd used them for the past five years without a problem, until now.

During my telephone conversations with them it soon became apparent they knew nothing about MacOS X. All they could suggest was that I install and run antivirus software, get rid of the "spam bot" (whatever that is) and then they'd activate my accounts again.

I have AppleCare, so I rang them up and they kindly pointed me in the direction of three antivirus programmes: ProtectMac, Avast! and ClamXav

I installed and ran all three on a fre--trial basis. Only ProtectMac picked something up: two trojans in a cache folder and a video file, respectively. I proceded to erase both files, rang my e-mail provider and they gave me new passwords for the e-mail accounts they had deactivated. Everything seemed peachy again.

Flashforward.

A week later (today), they rang again saying one of my e-mail addresses was still being used to send spam. This time, only one address is involved (and has been temporarily deactivated). Of course, I'm running ProtectMac again, but quite frankly, I don't expect it to pick anything up. In the last seven days I've barely sent or received attachments and have not installed any software or loaded CDs. My e-mail service provider insist their logs show the spam activity is definitely from my IP address. They are suggesting I erase my hard disk and reinstall the OS + all the programmes I use. Frankly, I'm VERY reluctant to do this, for obvious reasons.

ANY advice will be most welcome. Thank you so much in advance.

Parlem

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can it be, that someone else has the password for that account and use that to spam a lot?

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

5. parlem thread starter macrumors member

thanks!

A BIG thank you to those who replied to my initial post.

You've been a big help.

Best,

Parlem

6. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Their servers could be compromised. It just sounds weird that after you ran those scans and deleted those things that it still happened. Reinstall your OS but I am betting it will still do it. I don't think its you. Anyone else have access to your computer, your network, or your web server host?