Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StephenStephen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Hi guys,

This may be SUPER easy to do, or not possible at all - and i'm sure its been asked before so please forgive me for being a pain.

I have a newer silver macbook pro (late 2011) with Mountain Lion and a 2007 MacBook (White body) - I didn't know that Mountain Lion couldn't run on it, so I made the mistake of installing it over target mode (The CD drive on that mac is dead so I have to rescue it from Target mode/Firewire).

Is there a way I can install a lower/earlier version of OSX? I have Lion but it won't let me open it on mountain lion to do anything with it, what can i do?! it failed a while back so now I just need to get it back up and running again.

Thanks!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi guys,

This may be SUPER easy to do, or not possible at all - and i'm sure its been asked before so please forgive me for being a pain.

I have a newer silver macbook pro (late 2011) with Mountain Lion and a 2007 MacBook (White body) - I didn't know that Mountain Lion couldn't run on it, so I made the mistake of installing it over target mode (The CD drive on that mac is dead so I have to rescue it from Target mode/Firewire).

Is there a way I can install a lower/earlier version of OSX? I have Lion but it won't let me open it on mountain lion to do anything with it, what can i do?! it failed a while back so now I just need to get it back up and running again.

Thanks!

Do you have the Lion DMG, if so make a bootable USB Lion Installer with a small program called Lion Disk Maker.

After you created the USB stick boot from it and install Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.