Desperation with iPhone 5 camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by basslib, May 21, 2015.

1. basslib macrumors newbie

I have bought a 32gb iPhone 5 at launch day. I was so happy with it until I have found out some incredibly faults in it. Before I start to explain what happend with the camera, let me tell you the 'story' of this piece of metal. First it was the battery, after the first year exactly when the apple care expired, it has had a very short lifetime under iOS 6; less than my previous phone wich was a 3 years old iPhone 4 by the time. I have bought a new battery and replaced the old one. FIXED After another year, the Sleep/Wake button has stopped working, but I was lucky since Apple already knew that some models were defective and I have been replaced for free (See How). FIXED After some time I have accidentally dropped my phone on the table and I have broken the internal LCD liquid crystals, leaving the external glass untouched. Initially, it was a bunch of pixels, then it has started to make sparks like old TVs noise, so I have been replaced the entire LCD+DIGITIZER+CAMERA combo piece. FIXED

Now it's time for the ORIGINAL camera. If you look at the middle flower you can see a purple scar on it:

[​IMG]

I have bought a new camera from a local vendor and replaced it. FIXED

The new camera lasted less than 1 year, despite the original one it has shown some black spots on its pictures:

[​IMG]

I have tried to take off all the dust from the sapphire crystal lens but with no luck so I have bought a new one and replaced it.

Today, after less than a month I have encountered the same issue as above, so I have been working it out a little and discovered that it was a little piece of dust inside the camera component lens (not the sapphire crystal one), clearly visible at human eye, so I have air sprayed it for a while and finally moved it away from the camera sensor.

Now the camera is fine, but for how long?

The accessories are also very fragile. I have replaced both ear buds and lighting connector twice. Now I'm using different in-ear Made in Germany headphones. IDK How much money I have spent to repair this phone, but now I am more convinced that selling it and say goodbye to Apple is the right thing to do.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm not sure exactly how Apple should be blamed for:

1. You dropping your phone and damaging the display, and
    2. Defects introduced by local, non Apple vendors doing repairs?

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yep, probably time for you to cut your losses and move on

I'm sure this time you will find a perfect product that will last you the rest of your life without any issues no matter how you use or abuse it

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Most of your problems have been due to user error. How could you blame Apple for that? Even when you do get it repaired you go to a third party who likely put used parts in your phone as Apple does not sell parts to these third part repair people.

5. basslib thread starter macrumors newbie

The display was my fault, even I have always used a cover and screen protection when I have dropped it from a distance of around 1 meter on a woodstock table. I was unlucky I have dropped it many times on the floor which is harder without any damage.

It's not used part nor OEM, probably cheap replacement, but that is clearly visible as the original :apple: camera picture looks way more better. By the other side, I wouldn't have it repleaced in the App Store as their price is fairly high.

6. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Which headphones is this?

7. basslib thread starter macrumors newbie

8. rekhyt macrumors 65816

So Apple is liable for a third-party's fault?

9. avanpelt macrumors 68020

I'm not sure how much you spent on parts and labor, but I bet the total cost for all those repairs might come close to getting you a 64 GB iPhone 6 on contract.

The iPhone 5 was a great phone but there's no way I would invest that much time, energy, and money getting a phone repaired multiple times no matter how much I liked the phone. I'd sell it for parts and buy a new phone if I were you.

10. basslib thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course not, but it is for the dust getting in from the light sensor dot beside the lens, and it's not only me just google it and look for this people having the same issue on their phones.

I'm looking forward with the one coming this fall. If I sell mine I'll swith to my old BB with 32kb of RAM.

11. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Relevant: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/05/22/new-book-iphone-blackberry-downfall/

12. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Holy crap you must beat the crap out of your stuff. I still have my lightning connector from October 2012 and it's fine. Also a cord from January 2014 and a cord from October 2014. Another cord from June 2013. All are fine. I have ruined two pairs of EarPods though from leaving them in my pocket when they went through the wash. My fault completely though. I actually wouldn't say they are "ruined". They still work, just one side is weaker than the other (one pair is weak on the right and one is weak on the left) and both sound a little more tinny than before but it doesn't bother me much, still are decent last resort EarPods that work.

Don't get your phone repairs by third parties. End of story. Just pay some extra $$$ for AppleCare+ then you don't need to worry.

Better luck next time, I guess. Some people are just accident prone I guess? Or have bad luck (or simply aren't careful enough :p)? My friend's 6 plus randomly has a non-functional headphone jack. There's no debris in it at all, he's done a full set up as new... Doesn't recognize anything. He dropped his iPad once and the screen wouldn't turn on (no cracks, the backlight would turn on and you could hold down the home button and hear Siri, you could hear notifications, screen just stopped.) He also has had the home button stop working many times, needed to hold down the home button at power down screen to "recalibrate" and fix it. Also has had charging port randomly make the iPad 3 think it was docked, so no sounds would work. Broken loads of cords. Loads of EarPods. Shattered the screen on another iPad, and a Galaxy S4. Waterlogged an old iPod touch, got it working again, then damaged the pins so it won't charge. The list goes on. These devices need to be treated like babies, as well as their accessories. (Don't let the cord sharply turn a different angle right from where the reinforced rubber area is at either end of the cord, etc)