Desperatly seeking help! 1st gen iphone needs upgrade and jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jabz, Oct 20, 2008.

1. jabz macrumors newbie

Hey,
    I really need everyone help here, I don't know where to go so I thought you could all help me.

I have a first gen iphone that is unlocked but running on 1.0.2
    I would like to upgrade it to the latest version as well as jailbreak it.
    I know I could just connect it to my pc and upgrade it on itunes, however it will then be locked again, and I don't know how to unlock it. On top of that, I have no apps or anything, so I would like to be able to get apps, I guess that is what jailbreaking would let me do right???

I've never really messed around with all this so I have no idea what to do, if someone could give me a step by step instruction through this process, it would be great! I've been trying to sort this out for months!!!:confused:

Any help would be so much appreciated.

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

This is a very easy process and actually required very little work on your end.

Plug your phone into iTunes and let it upgrade. Download WinPwn or quickpwn while you wait.

Once the phone is ready, start your pwn program and let it do its thing. It's really quite painless.

3. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

lostprophet is correct. Another thing you can do while your phone is updating is search the forums here. There are several step-by-step Jailbreak instructions that are actually quite good. The best weapon to have before hacking your phone is EDUCATION.

4. jabz thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok already confused hehe..
    So what exactly does quickpwn or winpwn do? I don't have a mac, does it matter which I use?

Lost prophet, you mentioned that all i have to do is download those programs and it's good to go...do I download it on my pc? does it sync to itunes? My phone will be locked once i update it right, so will I be able to do anything?

Sorry, I know I might sound lame, but again I am so clueless to all this!!!

So would I update it first then jailbreak? What about unlocking?

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

No problem at all. It's kinda what we're here for. ;)

For windows you'll be looking for QuickPwn. I'd post the file but it's on my laptop. Just google it.

Yes. You will update the phone first. Do this before you do anything with QuickPwn. Once you have your phone in a stock 2.1 state, then you'll be doing quickpwn. When you run the program, it's going to give you four (I think) options. Do It All, Jailbreak, Activate, and Unlock. Just pick which you want to do. If you're an AT&T customer, hit the jailbreak button and you're good. If not, I suggest Do It All.

And that should be all she wrote. Your phone will do all the work and reboot with Cydia and Installer on your springboard. Good luck!

6. jabz thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok last question ( i hope)
    How do I back up my data on my phone before I do all this?
    Like my phone numbers, text msgs, etc.
    Also, should I leave my sim card in the phone while I do all thsi?

I read somewhere that I should use winpwn if i'm on a pc and my service provider is rogers, from canada.
    Does it make a difference?

Thanks again!

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Before you update to the new firmware all of your data will be backed up. After the upgrade is done and iTunes reads your new phone you'll just select "Restore from backup" and all of your info will be back on the phone. Then you jailbreak/unlock.

Your service provider means diddly squat unless you're on AT&T. But yes, winpwn will do just as well. I believe they work exactly the same (quickpwn is the newer version maybe?)

8. jabz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much!!!!
    It worked!!!
    I had a few glitches here and there, and a few things I didn't understand, but I googled that, and everything seems good!!!
    This forum is great!
    Lostprophet, you rock!