Despite the issues, I love my iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aphexii, Aug 11, 2008.

1. aphexii macrumors 6502

The iPhone 3G is far from a perfect phone, i'll be the first to admit that. The software so far has been considerably less than stable (especially compared to the first gen) and many features still aren't working right (i've experienced them first hand and even had to swap out my first 3G iPhone for a replacement).

That being said though, its depressing to see one thread after another complain about the same things - Reception, stability, battery life, light leaking, etc.

I don't deny there are many issues (I have some of them myself), yet despite them, I still love my iPhone. It does everything that I use a phone to do better than anything else i've used. While it may not be the perfect phone for everyone, for me, it's exactly what I need.

Also, please don't take this thread the wrong way. I'm by no means trying to put those who have these issues down, you have every right to complain and be annoyed by the issues thus far. I'm just trying to bring a little iPhone love back to the forums. Its been quite a depressing place around here lately. :)

:apple:

2. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Thank you for being a rational iPhone customer and not thinking it is the JesusPhone. It is a GREAT phone though.

3. oneschance macrumors member

i'm most def on your boat. i've gotten more use from my 3G than any other device in my life. and though this phone needs to see improvements, i find myself so so very happy since day one.

4. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

i LOVE LOVE LOVE my iPhone 3g. The ONLY issue i have is the sms lag! Thats the only issue that is a HUGE deal to me. I know it will be fixed and i can caress the iPhone all night!

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

More often than not I will begin a call using my Jawbone and the 3G bars will go to 0 then back to 5 and the call is never placed...however the iPhone 'knows' and automatically dials without any intervention!

You see its a love/hate with this device and the hate is quickly forgotten.

6. Joesyuh macrumors newbie

IT is a great phone for me. I love to surf the web when im out and about and now I dont need a laptop or even WIFI.

I also understand its problems, but never the less, its way ahead of many other phones. I just want better battery life.

7. Kyeris macrumors 6502

It definitely has more positive features then it's drawbacks. Good enough for me :D

8. iSurfHi macrumors regular

iSurfHi

I Love my white iPhone too!

Regarding all these threads that have been going on with our new iPhone's electronic devices and computers will not ever be perfect but in the same time it may work well for some people and some not. I have returned my iPhone 2 times for different reasons but its okay. Over all I am smitten to my iPhone and it has done me good and will get better in time. There will be a lot of improvements but that will be the fun going for the ride while Apple corrects these issues ;) So all our happy iPhone campers enjoy what you have and lets over come all this bs you just have tolerate what comes up and will be fixed! Like I said I love my Whitey iPhone Sweet~:):apple:

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have had NO problems to report since July 11. I love this iPhone 3G so much that I just now upgraded my other 1st generation iPhone to 3G as well. I will be selling my old one on eBay.

The iPhone I just picked up is also running 2.0 as is my 1st 3G. I plan to keep them both on 2.0 till the next update which hopefully will be 2.1. Both my 3Gs are white!

3G ROCKS baby! ;)

10. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Yep. There are definitely issues, but the good is far outweighing the bad for me. :D

11. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

I have said it before, the iPhone is a mac in our pocket. The Mac-life magazine said the same thing, and they hit it just right.

I love being able to get my almost full safari experiance anywhere! At my work i find myself surfing the internet way more on the iPhone than i do with the hp desktop provided loll.

All smart phones serve their need and niche. Apple has taken the idea of the smart phone and made it into their own. Its a computer revolution once again. I am incredibly excited to see where smart phones, and the iPhone takes us.

12. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

To much info.

13. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

i hear you. i've experienced a few issues that have detracted from my experience, but without a doubt, i love my iPhone! :)

14. cantankerously macrumors regular

I wholeheartedly agree. The iPhone 3G does exactly what I need it to do and it does it better than any other phone I've used in the past. I think waiting for the 3G and skipping the original was a good decision on my part.

15. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i think the part i love about my phone is that it CAN get updates. most phones will have a problem, and ur stuck with it unless u get a whole different phone. with the iphone, there is a problem and then its a maximum month wait until we get a new update to solve it. the fact that updates are possible make this a great phone to have

16. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I agree. This is why I was/am excited about the iPhone.

I was so tired of seeing ads for "new" cell phones that had no big improvements aside from 5 years ago it was a candy bar, 2 years ago it was a flip phone, then last year it was a slider, but it still had the same functionality, apps, games.

This time it's all going to be touch, but again other companies aren't seeing the whole user experience (bugs aside) as the appeal of the iPhone. Same reason why they couldn't catch up to the iPod, now the iPhone has the benefits of being an iPod plus more.

17. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

I've played with it for 12 hrs now, and I'm in agreement with the OP. My issues have to do with mail and the ipod, I am disappointed in both. That being said it is awesome and so much fun to use. I love it, and so far it has been very stable and the white looks choice.

18. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I think we're probably going to have to accept that since the iPhone is essentially a full PDA/computer, with all the complexity that entails, we're also going to have to accept PDA/computer style reliability.

I've had to wipe/restore/sync my iPhone twice now (takes aaaaaaages), but it still doesn't turn me off it.

19. redcupr macrumors member

redcupr

First post, been reading MacRumors since the announcement of the original iPhone. I painfully waited for the version #2 of the phone. Stood in line on July 11th and finally got my iPhone 3G.

I'm very happy with it. The first week it spontaneously restarted 4 times, since then it's done it maybe twice. Occasionally an app will crash. My 3G reception is very good here in Seattle, so no complaints there.

I came from a 'regular' cellphone with no data plan, so this was a major leap forward. I can understand a few quirks with a device this complex. Was the original iPhone really that perfect?

20. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

My iphone experienced it's first crash today. I was listening to music, downloading/installing a new app and using safari when it stopped responding.

I agree with the viewpoint that this thing is more a PDA/computer.

21. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

IMO, perception of the iPhone has more to do with expectations. Similar to watching a movie, if you walk in with high expectations, you are more likely to be disappointed.

I have been waiting for the 2.0 firmware and its enterprise support, and had very high expectations. Therefore I am more disappointed than some of the new iPhone users that came in without expectations.

Batman broke just about every record there is, yet you can still find some very horrible reviews of the movie.

22. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

Just revisiting this thread, glad to see i'm not alone here :D