Desprate! (No really I am) Don't know what to do...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swaysmusic, Aug 6, 2015.

1. swaysmusic macrumors newbie

swaysmusic

So, I have a late 2008 mac pro running the updated 10.10 Yosemite. Last week I got some kind of adware that messed up my hard drive and my dumb ass had erased some much needed hidden files in an extreme cleaning frenzy I was on so fixing my problem was anything but easy. I could only get my mac started in recovery mode. It would not start in any other. Trust me I tried every which way from Sunday. Ow, let me back track for a second I got a replacement video card about 4 months ago that will only send out a signal once the mac is up and running. I have reset the pram ran fsck or whatever it is. But, in the end I reinstalled Yosemite and lost a lot of files but it was working till 2 nights ago when it happened all over again. Except this time when in disk utilities my drive was damaged. So brand new hard drive tapped into recovery mode as it is my only option ever, partitioned my new hard drive and installed Yosemite. Installed it this morning made sure everything was secure. and spent the last 12 hours putting all of my programs on it. When I was all done turned on firevault and hit restart. Now, once again, I can not get my mac to start except in recovery mode. When there I checked and my "drive appears to be ok" but can not verify permissions? When I click on the apple and choose start-up disk I am told that my drive is encrypted and need to unlock it so I do then I hit restart and all I get are the sounds it makes for the first half of the restart process then nothing. I then did a hard shutdown and now when I try to start up again nothing but the start-up chime and fans running all out. Can anyone help me please? Code for terminal or just some funky trick someone has come up with? I am broke and really need to get back to work.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try a command-r boot to recovery again then start Disk Utility. Look in the File menu to mount and unlock the encrypted drive. Once that is done try verifying the drive and see what it says.

3. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

FileVault won't save you from adware/malware. I personally don't know anyone that really needs that on. If you do use it, or the firmware lock, don't lose the password/key. Use Time Machine or a clone of your main OS disk in a known-good state.

Try Malwarebytes for Mac next time you think you have adware. It's super fast and free. I noticed it won't find ZipCloud, which will jack you up, too. Don't use MacKeeper, either.

If you get 'locked up', force quit Safari, then launch it while holding the shift key, and that should free you up. Then go to Safari Preferences, delete any extensions you don't know, remove website data until it's clean, and download Malwarebytes for Mac. If that doesn't find anything (or even if it does), keep cleaning the following:

Click Finder, on top of screen, click Go, then hold Option key and select the Library folder.
    - Get rid of unknown items in LaunchAgents
    - Delete com.apple.Safari.SavedState folder
    - While you're in here, might as well delete all files in Caches folder, which most people have full of crap.

Go to Mac HD > Library and delete unknown items in:
    - LaunchAgents
    - LaunchDaemons
    - StartUpItems

Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items
    - Highlight any items you don't know or don't want to auto launch, and click '-' (minus) button. If they say (All users), you'll need to unlock the lock first.

Now, restart Mac and first thing after login, delete trash.
    Test Safari... no more popups or adware.

4. wts macrumors member

wts

I have been hit with that problem and honestly don't know where or how those bad azzzz adds infect my browsers.

Now no doubt this is info/help is way too late for you however on n a weekly basis i simply duplicate the " Safari " and my other browsers ( such as FireFox ) folder in Users Library folder. Then if i get the add infection disease i simply trash the folder and replace it with the back up folder.

I've setup chronosync to do that job for me in the middle of the nite. I'm sure there are more sophisticated methods which i would love to read .