destiny of Apple Cinema Displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sinser, Nov 1, 2008.

1. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

What do you think will happen with the current matte ACDs ? Will they just be discontinued and replaced with the glassy :eek: ones or will Apple leave a matte option at least for external displays ?

2. pprior macrumors 65816

Sad to say I think the next generation will be all glassy screens. I've given up on apple displays.

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I concur. My strong feeling is that we'll see them move towards the black bezel, and glass screen. Not sure how they'll pull off a matte screen combined with glass, and where that leaves Apple pro users.

The only good thing I can see is that you might be able to get an ACD relatively cheap then.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

If you want a cheap display don't have any hope in Apple producing one.

Cinema Displays are very well priced for what they do, they are professional monitors designed for just that.

If you have no idea why they are expensive then the odds are you have no need for one.

5. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Ever think of writing to Apple and asking them for the option? I know its glass, but surely it can be surfaced to remove the glare. I'm in the camp of those bemoaning the migration of Apple Computer into Apple Cellular - but surely there are some at Apple Cellular there that might still want to appeal to the prosumer category that was once serviced by Apple Computer.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Think eyeglasses. :)

You can opt for an anti-glare coating, and it can be applied to either glass or plastic lenses.

It makes sense that Apple has split the new ACD LED 24" into a consumer product, and release the professional models with new Mac Pro. If they truly want to serve the pro community, they'd use the anti-glare coating. Unfortunately, it's cheaper to eliminate it, so it may be absent. :(

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I was thinking about this too, but ... it's been a while since I worked with commercial optics, but I'm not sure how feasible (cost-wise) high quality anti-glare coatings on that much glass would be. I know cheap anti-glare can be done that big, but can good anti-glare films be deposed on 30" of glass with acceptable uniformity, and would it be even vaguely cost effective?

Nonetheless, I think the clock is ticking... essentially everything Apple offers except the 30" ACD is now glass, and that last sentinel is going to fall sooner or later.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Sputter/vapor deposition should be capable of a uniform film deposit. Cost, I'm not sure of, but would think large scale manufacturing facilities can reign it into a reasonable cost/unit.

Unfortunately, this may be the inevitable. :(