Destroyed my ipone help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Caracarn, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Caracarn macrumors newbie

Please help, I have done a very stupid thing. I upgraded my iphone to 1.1.1, unlocked it using anysim 1.1.1.

Everything appeared to be sweet until I tried to connect to itunes. It said could not read from iphone "^1" or something similar. I did a google search of this error it found a forum that said delete everything in /var/root/media as it is likely there is a corruption there, there was also a reply from the original poster who said this fixed their problem. So I connected to the iphone via winscp went into the /var/root/media folder noticed there were alot of folders, confirmed I was in the right folder and nuked the contents. I rebooted the iphone and after awhile of seeing the apple logo it now comes up with

Singleuser boot -- fsck not done
    Root device is mounted read-only

If you want to make modifications to files:

/sbin/fsck -fy
    /sbin/mount -uw /

If you wish to boot the system:
    exit

Oct 28 12:13:49 launchd[13]: can't exec /bin/sh for single user:No such file or directory

If I dock and undock it it will display alot of messages but I dont seem to be able to do anything. Itunes doesnt recognise it now when its connected so can't do a restore, can't connect via winscp either.

I think i've done the Iphone equivalent of del c:\windows\*.* but I dont see how.

Have I just turned my iphone into a paperweight?

Any advice that will get me up and running will be rewarded.

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

points and laughs
    falls to the ground laughing, grabs sides and laughs more....
    Is in tears from the pain of laughing...

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Could somebody move this to iPhone Hacks.

and

[​IMG]

4. papadopolis1024 macrumors 6502

Call apple and just lie... Just say you dont know what happened.

I dont advocate this though...

5. sgarringer macrumors regular

Unlike everyone else here, I'll offer some constructive help. I would try to see if you can get it to start up in Restore Mode:

• Disconnect your iPhone from your Mac or Windows computer.
    • Press and hold the sleep/wake and home buttons simultaneously for about 20-30 seconds, until you see a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in the middle accompanied by the text "Please Connect to iTunes."
    • Connect your iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes if it does not automatically launch.
    • You should see a Yellow ! Mark and iTunes should attempt to restore

I don't know if the fact that you unlocked your phone will effect this, but its worth a try it can't be any more broken then it is now...

6. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

ditto! (love the smiley!!!)

THAT is the reason I wont hack my expensive toys.

7. MicBook macrumors regular

DONT HACK $500 PHONES!!!!! even if AT&T is the worst network ever to be made