Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2018
NYC
I was thinking today: What would happen if I had to get a new physical Apple Card. What do I do with the old card. With the plastic cards I would just shove it into the shredder. But I don't think that would be a good idea with the AC.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
File it in a safe place or sand the front and back to remove your name, chip and mag stripe. There are no account numbers or 3 digit codes visible.
After sanding just recycle the metal.

Reactions: Crowbot

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
With other metal cards I've used, the company will send you a sleeve and a postage free envelope to send back to them to be destroyed.

Reactions: Crowbot

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2018
NYC
With other metal cards I've used, the company will send you a sleeve and a postage free envelope to send back to them to be destroyed.
Yes, that's what I figured Apple will do.

Update: Apple will send a sleeve for the card so I can send it for recycling.

Last edited:

jseymour

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2018
S.E. Michigan, USA
I figure I'll just take sandpaper to the mag stripe and a Dremel tool to the chip on the Apple Card I just cancelled, then re-purpose it into a scraper. I think I'll leave my name on so nobody tries to steal my fancy titanium scraper :D

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Entrust it to Frodo to take to Mount Doom, In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie...
I figure I'll just take sandpaper to the mag stripe and a Dremel tool to the chip on the Apple Card I just cancelled, then re-purpose it into a scraper. I think I'll leave my name on so nobody tries to steal my fancy titanium scraper :D
Yeah, well. That works too, I guess.;)

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I never use the physical card, just Apple pay. Pay it off every month. Still have a Visa & MC for online purchases, and
automatic payments like Comcast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.