Destroying HD

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MattyMac, Aug 10, 2008.

1. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I have an old dell Dimension 4300 that I am going to sell for cheap. It only has a 30gb hd so I plan on just removing it and destroying it physically before I sell. Is physically destroying a harddrive the same as wiping it clean. In other words no personal info can be stored on any other portion of the computer...correct? Sorry for the dumb question.

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Correct unless you're running in the Intel's hybrid mode with a pair of flash storage and HDD (which is not the case in your inspiron)!

You can perform a 0 out format or you could pluck the drive out and destroy it! The best way to do so is to open the HDD and rub the platters on gravel or mud! Less work: get a STRONG magnet and leave your HDD on it overnight!

3. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

EDIT: It's actually a dimension 4300

Thanks, I'm far to lazy to 0 out the drive. Plus I've already disconnected everything from the computer.

Thanks for the clarification that physically destroying the hd is the best bet!

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Its the best way! But be warned that if the platters manage to remain magnetized or unscratched..... nothing worse than it!

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

A hammer is the best tool, beat the crap out of it. Then toss it in the trash. No one will be recovering it.

6. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

You could just use something like Dariks boot and nuke to clear the drive. That way you can leave the drive in the computer when you sell it.

7. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Just out of curiosity... do you really have data that is so sensitive/confidential that you need to physically destroy the drive? I ask because when it was recommended that you zero out the data you said you were too lazy to do that. Physically destroying the drive means you literally have to do something to it (like rubbing the platters in the mud as recommended above). Writing 0s on the drive is something that is done using software and requires no work from you.

My point is, why go to so much trouble to completely destroy something when in most cases a multi pass erase will do exactly what you want to do? Selling a computer without a hard drive is going to severely lessen the value of the computer and cut down on who you can sell it to. Most people don't know anything about computers, and if they see you advertise it without a hard drive, they will not look at your add.

If you do the multi pass erase there is very little people can do to retrieve that information. The average Joe won't have a clue how to do it, and most people really don't care about it. The OS will show them there is nothing on the drive, and they won't look any further. Plus a multi pass erase makes it next to impossible to retrieve the information anyway.

And so I ask again, do you really have information that it so important that you must physically destroy the drive?

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Drill through it, it's simple, and highly effective :)

9. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

As he indicated, the computer is disassembled, he would either have to reassemble, but it in an external case, or but it in another computer to erase it.

10. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I understand that it is disassembled. I find it a lot easier to reassemble the computer (or use an external case) then to locate a giant high powered magnet.

I do agree that destroying a hard drive with a hammer is a lot more fun... but the OP did say he was looking to sell the computer too.

11. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

hammer, blow torch, petrol and battery acid should do the trick.

12. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

13. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

But destroying it physically could be so much fun! :D

14. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Geez, don't people own shotguns anymore? This country is going down the toilet.

15. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

I typically just take the hard drive and douse it in gasoline and torch it. I thought some company made a machine that would destroy hard drives. Sorta dumb to buy one, unless your destroying hard drives on a consistent basis though.