Detailed Upgrade Procedure from 3gs to 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jasperk99, Jun 23, 2010.

1. jasperk99 macrumors regular

With my pending delivery for tomorrow, I was wondering if someone can either help point me to or provide a detailed step by step procedure in the deactivation of my 3gs to the activation of my 4.

I believe I want to restore my 4 with my current 3gs settings in order to save everything; I am also giving my 3gs to another non iphone user on my family plan so I need to wipe my 3gs and get it ready to be activated by them.

Any help in either providing these directions or pointing me to them is appreciated.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Make sure to sync your iPhone 3GS before you plug in your new iPhone 4, doing this will make sure you have most recent back up of your 3GS.

After you complete the sync and your ready to activate your new iPhone, plug it in and follow the step-by-step instructions for activation, then when prompted, make sure you restore your iPhone 4 from a back-up (the most recent).

the moment you activate your iPhone 4, your 3GS will be deactivated immediately

3. jasperk99 thread starter macrumors regular

Do I need to do anything to get my info off of the 3gs so the next person is working with a fresh iphone?

Do they plug there sim card into my 3gs and contact at&t to activate or do they keep my old sim card and At&t changes it to their phone number?

4. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

All you need to do is a restore. It will give you the option of backing up, or starting new.

As for the sim card, I'm pretty sure all they need to do is pop in their SIM card, activate with iTunes, & select a data plan. Can't remember the process too well.

Hope I helped some!

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, they use their SIM. Do not include your SIM as it contains personal data. Best to just destroy it unless you want to keep it for some reason. It can't be used again once deactivated so no real reason to keep it.

6. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Can you use the iPhone like an iPod once the sim has been deactivated, with or without the sim installed? Mines a 3GS if that matters.