Details about the Retina Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Beliblis, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Beliblis macrumors regular

Has anyone got any REAL specs about the retina display?
    All I know from Apple is it's IPS technology. (Is the non-retina IPS as well?)

Contrast ratio?
    LUT?
    Color Gamut (Adobe RGB)?
    Possible to calibrate with standard calibration devices (EyeOne, Spyder,...)?

2. houkouonchi macrumors regular

I am also curious about this. Also interested in response time.

3. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

5. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Thanks or the information, that's so cool! You can adjust different resolution with a simple and easy to use interface :) all the way up to the previous 17-inch resolution! I guess that's why Apple discontinued the 17-inch MBP.

6. Acidsplat macrumors regular

Being able to scale it to the 17-inch resolution is very cool. Now I'm not as upset at it being discontinued.

7. slapple macrumors 6502

Cool, so when will this Lion update be available for my 2011 MBP?

8. MacRumoren macrumors member

Yes, having that flexibility is great, but would my eyes be able to see the smaller text, ui, and other elements on a smaller 15"?

9. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I thought there was no res independence in lion(nor ml).. Can you provide the link where it talks about this technology in osx specifically?

10. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Guess I was wrong?

This is from apple.com

Supported resolutions: 2880 by 1800 pixels (Retina); scaled resolutions: 1920 by 1200, 1680 by 1050, 1280 by 800, and 1024 by 640 pixels

11. Beliblis thread starter macrumors regular

Resolution & Scaling aside.... anyone got any information on actual usability for pre-press & retouching work?

In their presentation, Apple touted it towards photo professionals. (Aperture, Photoshop,...)
    So Contrast Ratio & Gamut are ultimately important. If they didn't get those right, I ain't buying a retina laptop. Rather go with a cheaper one + external monitor.

Same with their "most advanced operating system", Mountain Lion. I REALLY(!) hope it supports more than 10-bit graphics path. (Windows does!)

Don't get me wrong, I've been a mac user for many many years. But I've got the impression that with quite a few things, Apple lost track of professionals' needs.

Retina - nice, yes. If Adobe RGB and not too much contrast.
    Mountain Lion – nice. If more than 10-bit graphics path. (=less banding on screen)