Detect Displays hotkey

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KyleC, Apr 13, 2007.

1. KyleC macrumors member

my mbp has trouble coming out of sleep it thinks i have a display attached and the screen doesn't come on. i have reset the pram and it didnt fix it.

I really need a hot key for detect displays to fix this, does anyone know if one exists?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You can always make one, make sure that the "Show displays in menu bar" checkbox is ticked, in system preferences Displays. Then go to Keyboard & Mouse - Keyboard Shortcuts. Right down the bottom you can click a + and add a new shortcut. Then enter whatever key shortcut you want.

Attached Files:

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does that actually work? I didn't think these shortcuts respected menu bar widgets.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I do not have a second display to test it with but the evidence seems to suggest it will.

Edit: Of course i had to do the whole log out and log back in again merry dance for this to appear

Attached Files:

5. KyleC thread starter macrumors member

i cant seem to figure out what to do it add it after i click the +, where do i find detect displays? can you give me a step by step? thanks!

i see system preferences but not detect displays.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Sorry my error, you just type "Detect Displays" in the box that appears after you hit the +. I left it as "all applications" because then it shouldn't matter what the front most application is.

Application "All Applications"
    Menu Title: (Type "Detect Displays" in here)
    Keyboard shortcut: (What ever you want, try being obscure so it doesn't conflict for example the one i gave before is actually print page in safari)

After you have done this you will probably have to log out and log back in again for it

7. KyleC thread starter macrumors member

thanks, i got it this time.

When i am back at my desk and have this problem again i will test it out.

thanks!!