Detect downloads in UIWebView

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by nomar383, May 14, 2010.

1. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Safari on the iPad is able to detect downloads and give you a warning if it doesn't understand how to handle them. How do I detect downloads in a similar manner for my iPad app?

I've been searching google for hours with no luck :(

My app needs to detect downloads that are generated and returned through scripts (php, javascript, etc) and then handle them. When I click a link in my UIWebView that functions in this manner, I get this error:
    Error Domain=WebKitErrorDomain Code=102 UserInfo=0x514af70 "Frame load interrupted"

In Safari, I get a warning (via a UIAlert). So, I'm assuming Safari has some way to handle this and KNOWS that it's a download. Ideas?

2. firewood macrumors 604

Look in the UIWebview documentation for the webView:shouldStartLoadWithRequest:navigationType: method. You can inspect every URL before any network load starts, and reject the ones you don't want.

3. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

I tried using that method already, and I'm checking the "request" for what the URL is. The URLs that are being returned don't seem useful (no extension of any kind). So, I am unable to use something like NSData to download from the URL.