Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
When I run "findsmb" it shows every machine on the network that responds to a request for their IP and NetBIOS name. Nice for seeing who is on a network or not while out and about, or to troubleshoot.

But recently, I discovered a problem.

A Windows computer running XP doesn't respond to my request. :confused:

This is a very handy feature that can be called "poor-mans network mapping" except that my map has a hole in it.

Any ideas?

jlewis2k1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2005
in your closet
xp maybe being the world's evilest system. lol, well i think it maybe your ICF (Internet Connection Firewall). What version of XP you running? SP1 or SP2?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
jlewis2k1 said:
xp maybe being the world's evilest system. lol, well i think it maybe your ICF (Internet Connection Firewall). What version of XP you running? SP1 or SP2?

1. findsmb locates computers on my local network, NOT the internet. So an internet firewall wouldn't mean anything.

2. SP2, but as I recall, it also happened with SP1. I think it has something to do with XP in general.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
sjpetry said:
There's Micro$oft for you. :rolleyes:

It works with 98, Me, and 2000. And 95, but that requires a backwards compatibility mode as well as some extra software installed on the 95 computer.

jlewis2k1 said:
micro$oft is bunch of lame programmers that think they can take over the mac world -_-
Great way to help... really....

jlewis2k1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2005
in your closet
Mechcozmo said:
1. findsmb locates computers on my local network, NOT the internet. So an internet firewall wouldn't mean anything.

2. SP2, but as I recall, it also happened with SP1. I think it has something to do with XP in general.

i know it has nothing to do with the internet but micro$oft's ICF blocks any traffic whether is local or not.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Mechcozmo said:

I haven't tried it lately but earlier it used to work with xp. So I don't think this is a problem with xp in general.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
abhishekit said:
I haven't tried it lately but earlier it used to work with xp. So I don't think this is a problem with xp in general.

Ah, ok then. Any ideas on how to fix the problem?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Windows XP SP-2 includes a built-in firewall, unlike earlier versions of Windows XP (original and SP-1), and this firewall is turned ON by default. This firewall is configured VERY tightly... even file and printer sharing must be manually enabled by the user once SP-2 is installed.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
clayjohanson said:
Windows XP SP-2 includes a built-in firewall, unlike earlier versions of Windows XP (original and SP-1), and this firewall is turned ON by default. This firewall is configured VERY tightly... even file and printer sharing must be manually enabled by the user once SP-2 is installed.

Thanks for the news flash. Does the firewall prevent the machine from appearing in this? It seems to look like it...

How do I enable this feature, then?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Mechcozmo said:
Thanks for the news flash. Does the firewall prevent the machine from appearing in this? It seems to look like it...

How do I enable this feature, then?
Here are the steps to follow on the Windows XP SP-2 machine:

1. Start > Control Panel.
2. Double-click Windows Firewall.
3. Click the Exceptions tab.
4. Click Add Port.
5. Type the name for this port ("SMB", for example) and the port number (445 is the port for SMB, I believe) in the Name and Port Number boxes. Select TCP or UDP (you may need to repeat steps 4-6 TWICE, once for TCP, and once for UDP).
6. Click OK.
7. Click OK to exit the Windows Firewall dialog box.

Note that it probably is NOT possible to automate this process, as to be able to do so would allow worms, Trojans, etc. to open up your system.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.