Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtibbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Is there any way within OS X (some hidden menu or something?) for me to see which wifi channel any detectable network is on? I ask because I set my home router on channel 11 back when i had a pc with XP and i chose that channel because at the time I had no neighbors on that channel. However, I'm now detecting 3 neighbors' routers and I'd really love to know if any/all of them are channel 11 so I can get OFF that channel and be using a clear channel.

But I can see no obvious way to see this in the network preferences or the little wifi icon up on the menu bar.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Is there any way within OS X (some hidden menu or something?) for me to see which wifi channel any detectable network is on? I ask because I set my home router on channel 11 back when i had a pc with XP and i chose that channel because at the time I had no neighbors on that channel. However, I'm now detecting 3 neighbors' routers and I'd really love to know if any/all of them are channel 11 so I can get OFF that channel and be using a clear channel.

But I can see no obvious way to see this in the network preferences or the little wifi icon up on the menu bar.

Just curious, what do you think you will gain from this "clear" channel?

Schtibbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Just curious, what do you think you will gain from this "clear" channel?

It isn't good to have two routers (yours and someone else's) on the same channel. They interfere. So, if your neighbor is on channel 6 (the most commonly as-shipped router channel), you are generally advised to switch your own router to channel 1 or 11 (1 and 11 being the only two channels that have no overlap with channel 6.

So, if there's no way OS X is going to tell me, I might try a free utility mentioned by the other poster, although I'm very leery of jacking up my new computer with tweaks and stuff..

oceanmonster

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
the mac wireless dashboard widget displays the info for channel in the widget. If you look on apple's widget site you should see it.

oceanmonster

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
the mac wireless dashboard widget displays the info for channel in the widget. If you look on apple's widget site you should see it.

ijoyner

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
Easy way to see WIFI details

Is there any way within OS X (some hidden menu or something?) for me to see which wifi channel any detectable network is on?

Easy. Hold the option key while clicking on the wifi symbol on the right of the menu bar. This will show detailed information about the network you are on. For others, just hover over the network name and a heads up will appear with channel and other information.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Easy. Hold the option key while clicking on the wifi symbol on the right of the menu bar. This will show detailed information about the network you are on. For others, just hover over the network name and a heads up will appear with channel and other information.
The thread is almost 5 years old and the method you describe didn't show channel information back then.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
The thread is almost 5 years old and the method you describe didn't show channel information back then.

Perhaps not, but I was unaware of that feature and just stumbled across this thread by googling[1], so if ljoyner is passing by, thank you.

[1] Binging actually, but that doesn't have the same ring to it.

Futuresgreen

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
A great free trick by iJoyner

Thanks to iJoyner - the pressing down of alt and clicking on the wifi button in top right hand corner does show you loads of info and as they said, just hover over any other to get info.
It was much more accurate then using the wifi card in the system information pane.

Now im hoping to try and find a better signal !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.