Determining retina LCD manufacturer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Oct 3, 2014.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Hey guys,

Sorry to start another thread but I'm trying to figure out which display that I got LG or Samsung. I'm very pleased with this display but I'm just curious as to which screen this is.

I've tried the following in terminal ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6 and it seems to display weird results.

Here are my results:

d -p -r | strings -6
    @.`0 6
    Color LCD

Does anyone know what this means or which display that I've received. I've tried different commands and all of the others are showing no results.

2. Mac2k4 macrumors newbie

Same here. It just means you have a 13 inch model. The Terminal command only works on 15 inch and MBA models not rMBP 13" unfortunately and for an odd reason lol. My screen looks great and I figured what the heck LG or Samsung same thing :) I'm just gonna enjoy the machine for now. I got the 13" for portability and am loving it so far.

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Oh well, I tested it for retention and there is no retention, no yellowing and the colors are super vibrant! I'm more than happy with this display. From some other threads that I've found, looks like it could be a samsung.

One thing to note is that web browsing is so much faster than even my desktop. I guess finally wireless ac from the rMBP paired to the airport extreme ac is a match made in heaven? :D

4. Mac2k4 macrumors newbie

I don't have ac but it's still super fast. No image retention either and no yellowish tints either. White is snow white and black looks great. So far so good ;) I'm still getting used to the retina display after using a macbook air for years. Text is so nice and crisp :eek: