Determining the worth of a 'New Toy'

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CooperBox, Jan 4, 2016.

1. CooperBox, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016

CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

I don't know how many of you are like me.
    When I feel it's time to find myself another AppleMac 'toy', I now enjoy doing quite a bit of research first.
    I'm fortunate enough to have the means to immediately purchase whatever I fancy - even new, but I now rarely do. I much prefer to put away a little each week in a side-fund until those savings accumulate into a larger sum, say $50 or $100 (or equivalent amount in euros). It reminds me of my days as a kid, saving hard for something that almost appeared beyond my reach, pocket-money wise. But with patience, and a little harder work doing errands etc, brought in a few more extra shillings to boost and accelerate my savings.
    I bought my first tatty bicycle that way, as there was no way my parents could have afforded even a second-hand one.
    I get that extra satisfaction from a product even now, if I've saved-up for it, rather than going straight out and purchasing it with a piece of plastic!
    I'm also a 'quality' freak, meaning I go out of my way to find something which is exceptional condition-wise. Aesthetically it must be as pleasing as possible, which usually means well-cared for, resulting in a reasonable probability that the out-of sight components are also in good condition. This would normally mean paying a premium for that condition.
    What can be difficult, is determining the value of the used Mac product I've set my sights on. This is often determined to an extent by the price posted by the seller. But we all know that many sellers overestimate the value of their Macs.
    The opposite can also be true, as if I had the choice of many of the products I see for sale in the U.S. (at fabulously low prices imho), I'd be purchasing many more. Here, many sellers grossly overestimate their products.
    I was looking at the ads posted this morning on a national site here. One that caught my eye was the photo of a white iBook which looked in good condition, with just the description (and I translate) - 'Mac iBook OS 9.2 in perfect condition.' This is in all probability a 2001 Powerbook4.1. The price (wait for it), 300€ = THREE HUNDRED & TWENTY SIX dollars.
    I then checked the nominal value on Mac2Sell for the same model, which was only 20€. What did I say about some folks grossly overestimating their Macs?
    It's not a model I was interested in, but if it was, I would probably propose (and be prepared to pay) less that a third of the asking price, say 100€ if it was in really excellent condition, and worthy of being put on display - as many of my collection are.
    But on what do I base my 'guesstimate'? I'm not sure, but to coin a phrase, it must be that personal 'gut-feeling'.
    I've yet to pay anywhere near that equivalent of $326 even for an iBook Clamshell, but they are at least exciting and deserve somewhat of a premium.
    You may have seen I paid no more than $60 for a superb 'Key-Lime' Clamshell SE recently. That too was saved up over 6 weeks with my 'pocket-money' - so believe me that gives a whole lot of extra satisfaction!
    Link #25

2. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

I think people are nuts. Dont get me wrong i LOVE some of my apple products. I love the speed of my Imac G3 DV 400Mhz tangerine, i love that my Macbook 3,1 White was able to last over 8 years as a daily driver and i too, want a Clamshell Ibook. But what im trying to explain to some of the members on the page, as much as i adore these old products, they are no longer sufficient to meet my daily needs, which is ironic because i used the Imac from 2009-2012 for garageband and imovie and i ran a P4 beside my Macbook for my daily driver until August 2013.

Despite that i think even $60 is a bit steep and hit myself for buying an Emac for $40 because i have no use for it. What i do love is finding and or receiving old machines and the joy i find is giving them the care they deserve and making them good condition.

When i brought home that Imac G3 it wasnt in the best place. It came from my elementary school so it had markings all over it, the DVD drive refused to work it was so slow and the hard drive was on its way out. But the joy was bringing it back. I got the Drive to work , replaced the HDD as that was not fixable cleaned all the tape/marker/pen off it and it looks great now! So as much as i want something like an ibook complete, fixing it and bringing it back to life say is more fun for me then receiving a clean machine ready to go. Because all its going to do is sit on my dresser. What do you think guys?

3. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Usually if I'm buying a computer as a tool, I will pay a lot less. If I'm buying it just because I want it, I'm willing to pay more if it's in good condition. The latter is usually how I end up with PowerPC Macs or old ThinkPads. Over $100 is probably too much for me though unless it was essentially brand new.

4. RedCroissant Suspended

The reason a lot of people overestimate their items is also due to not being the original owners. That ad for example seems weird because most people that own Apple products and have for a whiile (including the PPC iBooks) would call it an Apple iBook. I would never sell a computer that I picked up for free (A Dell Vostro 200) as a "Windows Vostro Vista Business in perfect condition."

I would offer no more than 50 euros and see if they go for it.

5. CooperBox thread starter macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

I tend to agree about the somewhat weird description in the ad. It's possible that it may be a parent selling an iBook on behalf of a student who has since moved out, and who is unfamiliar with the standardized product name.
    As mentioned above, it's not one I'll be making an offer on.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

As has been discussed many times here there are three types of PowerPC Mac sellers.

- Those who understand what they have and price accordingly
    - Those who do not understand what they have and often mistakingly believe they have a current model Mac and price according to that.
    - Those who also understand what they have but take advantage of those who do not and price accordingly.

I am of the firm opinion that by now no PowerPC Mac is worth over $150 and of those in the category above $100 it should either be a loaded G4 or G5 in great condition or a G5 dual or quad.

Just my opinion.

7. 996085 macrumors 6502

I could spend a ton of money on older computer equipment. Especially PPC equipment as you can pick it up for such a low cost. For example I had an opportunity to pick up a G5 Quad for $150 a few weeks ago. Or a 12" PowerBook for $50. Despite the good prices I passed on them as I already have too many computing systems and I've a lot more if I didn't exercise self control (I ended up disposing of 21 computers a number of years ago and I have a policy of "one in, one out" (barring any exception).

8. RedCroissant Suspended

I ALMOST agree with you on this. Almost. I would gladly pay $200+ for a 20" iMac G4 with all included accessories. Just based on my uses and the way I see how much better some of these machines are than what I sell at Best Buy makes them more valuable to me. As an example, I would pay 100 for a loaded iMac G3, $150 for a 14" iBook G4 fully loaded, and $250 for a late 2005 PowerMac G5 (which I already did), but now I would make a wiser decision and go after one that has AP/BT already installed and with closer to max RAM. One day I will still want to RAID 2 SSDs in my Quad and see what happens.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…just my opinion. :D

I feel that with prices of the early Intel Macs coming in to the sub-$200 range (I paid $189.74 for my 17" MBP and it was in great condition, other than the keyboard (which I replaced)) those PowerPC Macs in the same price range aren't worth the same value.

I just see too many deals for great higher end PowerPC Macs that are below $150 - with the exception of dual or quad G5s - or G4 cubes.

10. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I have gotten some pretty good luck with my PPCs

-G5 Quad $75(prototype)
    -PowerBook G4 15" DLSD $50
    -PowerBook G4 Titanium 500MHz $9
    -PowerBook G4 Titanium 667MHz $15
    -2x G3 Lombard 333MHz $50 (combined, it was a lot)
    -G4 Cube $150
    -PMG5 2.0GHz DP $60 (think this was the item I overpaid the most on)

11. RedCroissant Suspended

Fine. I'm not totally on board depending on what those machines are capable of ( as far as TDM..etc). But as an example, I would take a 15" Powerbook over a 2006/2007 Macbook and I would take a 20" iMac G5 with max RAM of 2 GB over a 17" Intel iMac with the same limit..etc. Now...I WOULD take a 1st gen Mac Pro over my G5 Quad though. Yes I would. So maybe I am halfway on board.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL! ;)

13. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

600x450.jpg
    I really like my dual 1.8 G5 and have recently been keeping an eye out for a spare (aka: parts machine). However since I don't have the space to end up like the guy in this photo I have to agree with eyoungren about PowerPC prices.

In the end a toy is something you want, not need - so how do you determine its worth?