Determining time to buy MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Touchy, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Touchy macrumors regular

In the threads there have been numerous problems with the new MBP's, which I won't repeat here, however, they have been attributed to poor QC and the "Rev A". So what is the status now? Have the number of problems slowed down and how do you know when the manufacture date has moved beyond Rev A? Is "Rev B" here now and is it safe to buy?

2. blurfonz macrumors regular

Its all about QC. Hope for the best unit when you buy! If possible go stores buy and do a 100% QC check before accepting. Unless ya order online. Thats your bet. I got my CTO online and thankfully all is perfect :)

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

If you can, wait for Rev B. They should be out in 3-4 months time. If you can't wait then get whatever's available now.

4. himansk macrumors regular

Rev A means when there is a new design or architecture used, a new revision will be whenever the system is updated by apple (speed bump or new proc, etc), could be months before that happens.

5. Touchy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I am going to wait for sure but will be buying online. Also, waiting the the new LED display so I guess after the first of year sometime (hopefully).

6. mladenz macrumors regular

its so damn ignorant to wait to buy something thats less then a month old! Not every damn model is defect, and if you do get a model that isnt the way it should be, bring it back and the next one will probably be perfectly working!

Buy if you need it but dont waste time waiting.

7. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

Qc

Generally, it takes about 6-8 weeks to work out all the problems after the units start shipping and Apple becomes aware of the problems. Of course, you can always take back a malfunctioning unit, but if you'd rather not have to worry about the hassle, I'd say that buying in mid December is probably ideal in terms of getting a unit with minimal problems.

Of course, you could also buy the just discontinued MBP on Amazon -- they are really perfect. I envy the new MBPs, but my current almost 2-year-old MBP still works great. Also, I hope they'll fix the reflections on the screens by the time I'm ready to buy.

8. cg165 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

by rev b do you mean a speed bump? Because these machines shouldn't change for 8 - 10 months. Check the buyers guide for average updated days.

9. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I agree with mladenz. I'm on my 3rd gen MBP now. Apple Support took good care of me the few times I needed support. Just waiting now for my new 4th gen CTO MBP to ship.

10. cg165 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I bought my unibody mbp on the day it came out online and received it with no problems. Pick any product and get it when it is first released and you'll generally see the same thing. If you have a problem with the machine, you aren't stuck with it. Return it until you are happy with it. They just released these, and if you need a new computer why wait? It would be better to go get one at the store so you can use it, see if there's anything wrong with it and then take one home that you're 100% happy with. If you are waiting because you think there is some defect, as a new mbp owner I can tell you that mine doesn't have any. Remember, people post problems usually and that's it. Compare how many have been sold vs the bad posts. Also it doesn't make a lot of sense since any of these people can call AppleCare on the phone or get a replacement with no charge.

11. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I agree, most these rev A warning are silly. I also love that a large number of "problems" posted are just differences. I think I'll explode with one more "loose hinge!" thread. It's not loose, they are designed like that and better for anyone who isn't trying to read the screen with their head flat on a bed holding the machine above them.

I got a standard 2.53GHz at a local store the day after they came out. Great no problem. Decided that the new 15" was better for my daughter than her older 17" so I gave that to her and ordered a 2.8GHz/SSD. It came with no issues also. I'm pretty obsessive about marks or construction flaws or dead pixels but I see nothing wrong with both of these machines. Much tighter and better built than any previous Apple laptops I've had.

12. Touchy thread starter macrumors regular

I was only searching for information, as stated. I never said I needed to buy at this time. Ignorance is having a hair across your **s and making assumptions and statements based on them. Good luck to all!!

13. Red-red macrumors 6502

Mine is perfect and I had it side by side the new 17" and the difference in quality is massive, the new design looks years ahead.

Don't use this forum to judge how many are faulty as is always the case most come on forums to complain, not to praise. Just buy one if you need one. Don't be put off by the odd thread on here.

14. bcaslis macrumors 68020

A.) Your original post makes sound like you are asking for advise on buying now.

B.) The rudest post in this thread is yours. If you don't want comments, then don't ask for them.

15. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Having a hair across your ass and making assumptions and statements based on them????? :eek:

How exactly does having a hair across your ass help or hinder you with making assumptions? Are you making statements based on the hair(s) on your ass or on the assumptions based on the hair across your ass? :eek:

Since I take great care not have have hair(s) across my ass, I'll put in my two cents.

If you can wait a while, wait till summer 09. By then, hopefully you will be able to get a blu-ray drive, 6gb standard, bigger HD and a quad-core processor. Not to mention it would come with Snow Leopard (10.6).

If you need it now, get a Rev A and check it out throughly before the 14-days are up.

If you need it not right now but before summer 09, get a Rev B.

Sorry for all the Asses I used. I just liked it. If people complain, I'll edit.

16. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I agree. Maybe not ignorant, but certainly a bit OCD.

17. bcaslis macrumors 68020

:D:D

Just to be clear, I do have hairs on my ass, but I don't think I have any across it. ;)