/dev/disk13s2 to restore - Help installing new SSD!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 81Tiger04, Mar 17, 2014.

1. 81Tiger04 macrumors 6502

Hey guys ... I am attempting to replace my HDD in my MBP with a new M500 from Crucial. I have partitioned the SSD so that I have "Macintosh SSD". Anyway, I get to this point and receive the following message:

When I am Restoring and select Restore > Erase, I get a message saying:

"Restore Failure
    Not enough space on /dev/disk13s2 to restore"

What does this mean?? Is there something I'm not doing right? Your help is greatly appreciated!!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What have you booted from?

You should be able to select the SSD brand name at the top (above the Macintosh partition you made) and go to the erase tab. Then select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the drop down and name the drive whatever you want then apply the change. That should format the drive as one partition like you want.

You can then clone your old drive to your new with Disk Util or whatever tool you are using for the clone.

3. 81Tiger04 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've seen Carbon Clone Copy recommended as a better/easier way to clone than Disk Utility. Any thought? I'm unfamiliar with it.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Meh... kind of a toss up. :)

I think maybe CCC is more obvious what you need to do to clone when you launch it, but once you know how to do it with Disk Util it is just as easy.

Here is a video that shows how to do it with Disk Utility.

5. 81Tiger04 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. 81Tiger04 thread starter macrumors 6502

When I partitioned my SSD, I named it to "Macintosh SSD". However, when the Restore process completed (overnight since it took 7 hours), I noticed that my SSD was now renamed "Macintosh HD" - the same as the original HDD.

Is this normal? Should they not be named differently??

PS ... I used Disk Utility.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is normal. When you restore it brings the name over from the old system. You ca just select then click in finder and rename it whatever you want.