DEV question

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by finalcut, Jul 6, 2012.

1. finalcut, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

finalcut macrumors 6502

Hello,

I would like to know how hard it is to develop a very simple app on iOS. The app I would like to make is simply to show an internal website https that show news. That site is already in mobile format.

The reason why I would like to have an app is the ability to keep login/password stored in the app. Otherwise, safari keeps asking for that password.

nb.: I am a Chemical Process Engineer and know nothing about coding. My c++ is far behind me as I graduated 13 years ago haha!
    Is that even possible for me to make it or I am dreaming!

thanks

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Is the website yours? If so, make it remember users. If no, then I think you'll run into copyright issues.

I'm not sure about it, but I thought there was an app called OnePassword, or something like that, that already did this for all websites?

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Since your app doesn't provide any additional functionality beyond a simple mobile website, you can pretty much be sure that Apple will reject it.

4. finalcut thread starter macrumors 6502

Even if this an app only for people that work within that Company?
    In fact, I don't even know if this is possible or not. I mean, having that app only for the workers, not for public

5. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

You can just upload it to an webserver and treat it as an app too.
    If you make an 'alias' from the Mobile site to your desktop, it will be treated as an 'app'.. Maybe that's what you're looking for :)

6. finalcut thread starter macrumors 6502

oh well, guess that's what I will do hehe. Have to re-enter login and password every time tho :/

thanks

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

If you distribute the app under the Enterprise Program, you don't have to worry about Apple's approval.

A properly constructed website should be able to retain login info; this capability is not specific to iOS development.

8. finalcut thread starter macrumors 6502

Then it looks like they don't want us to keep the website logged all the time. Security I guess

thanks

9. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

In HTML5 you have stuff like Local storage and also like Dejo mentioned, a good website should be able to handle all kinds of security things like cookies etc :)
    So I think for what you mentioned an HTML5 app would be the way to go.
    Entreprise like Dejo mentioned is a bigger step forward.