Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frobisher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2002
Hi

I just this week bought an iBook. It has 3 cd "software restore" which says (on the installation screen) that it contains the Developer Tools.

However, after doing the install, I can't find any handy developer tools like a C compiler. I am very puzzled about this, and can't find anything about this online.

Am I missing an obvious step? Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Hmm...no gcc in /usr/bin? That's strange - it should've definitely been installed. You can also go to developer.apple.com and download the Developer Tools.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
There should be a Developer directory where the GUI-based tools reside. If you're looking for the command line tools, you should be able to type cc hello.c to compile your source file hello.c and everything should be working just fine.

Using the cc command invokes the C, C++, and Objective-C compilers. To compile java code, use javac.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Not Installed

You need to install them (yes after installing from the restore discs!). Have a look for a directory called Installers in Applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.