Devastating floods in Queensland, Australia

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mickbab, Jan 11, 2011.

1. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Hi everyone,

For those of you living overseas, you may not have heard that 75% of Queensland, Australia has now been declared a disaster zone due to immense flooding across the state (and now extending across the nation) over the past days and weeks.

Visit any Australian news website like the ABC and you will see just how much of an impact this has had on the people of Queensland. Houses have been lifted from their concrete slabs, cars are thrown down rivers and sucked underneath bridges -- this flood is leaving no stone unturned as it crosses the state.

It is not only the estimated A$11 billion of damage across the state which impacts many people, but already it is known that 10 lives have been lost, most recently that of a 4 year old boy, with at least another 59 people missing and grave fears for the lives of 15 others. This is a truly tragic event for the people of Queensland and all those in Australia and around the world affected by what has happened. Our thoughts go to those families who have lost loved ones in this horrific showing of nature's worst.

If any generous MacRumors readers would like to make a contribution to assist in the ongoing rescue efforts, evacuations and preparations for further flooding, and also provide assistance to the families affected by this disaster when the flooding stops, visit the Queensland Government's flood relief appeal website at www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate (a genuine government website, no scams going on here). Your donations I am sure will be graciously received by those affected.

To those in Queensland suffering from this disaster, our thoughts are with you.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i work fairly close to brisbane (Gold Coast) - we are ok here but many people are not working because of the flooding and whatnot.

where i live (NSW) there is flooding about 30mins away from where i am, in the lower areas.

its still raining here.

quite frustrating!

3. mickbab thread starter macrumors 65816

mickbab

There continues to be some pretty horrible footage coming out of the affected and it just keeps rising, hope you are staying safe!

4. abc123 macrumors 6502

I'm in Brisbane but luckily on high ground and not at risk. The footage is devastating. Almost everyone I know has had their workplace flooded and many friends and family have abandoned their homes for higher ground.

Our state library that holds all the records and every publication ever made in QLD is currently flooding and next to it stands one of the greatest collections of art in Australia. They are even talking about sinking large boats on the river because the water is moving so quickly and the boats are likely to break free and crash into bridges or high rise buildings. All this before you even consider the tragic loss of human life which I'm afraid is going to rise quickly once the water levels drop. It is going to take a long time for our city to recover. :(

5. mickbab thread starter macrumors 65816

mickbab

I saw buildings like UQ and the Entertainment Centre surrounded by water but didn't realise those others were going under as well :(

I'm finding it hard to realise that this still hasn't peaked and is going to get higher still. We can only hope that the loss of life does not extend too far beyond what rescuers have already discovered, although it is almost certain to do just that.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

what i find odd is that up until the Late News lastnight (at least in Sydney), nobody else bar us up here knew about it!

if the issue was in Sydney we would hear about it up here, but not the other way around apparently.

7. Shanebenn macrumors newbie

Yup, im under water at my house...

I'm now staying with family high and dry, managed to get everything out in a truck so just the house itself ruined.

8. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

You're kidding, right? In South Australia it's been non-stop news on Queensland since before the flooding hit Brisbane.

9. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

Non-stop coverage over here in the west too. Bushfires here floods there. Our thoughts are with everyone affected by these events. Especially for those who have lost family and friends.

10. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

Turn to channel 24. Nothing but the flood broadcast all over aus.

We are lucky we live in a country where things get done quickly and help comes from all over the country. Things could be much worse.

Shanebenn, sorry about your house.

11. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

How could you not know about it, it's been non stop on every channel day and night for the whole week.

12. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

13. Queso macrumors G4

Very scary, even knowing just how sparsely populated most of Queensland is that's a massive area to be flooded.

Hope those of you who have escaped the floods continue to do so and that those of you who haven't return to normal as soon as you can.

14. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Hang on there! :( Let's hope this won't happen again...

By having family living in Rio de Janeiro state, which is also being devastated by floods and heavy rain (over 600 dead so far). I can't do much more than sit here and hope (I would say pray but I'm not a religious person) that everyone who is having to deal with these situations can get over it safely. ;)

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well I live in New Zealand and Auz and NZ are pretty close, so its been the main feature on the news every night for weeks. Looks pretty scary! :eek:

16. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

From the footage I've seen it's scary how quickly the water rises and flows.

17. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

My thoughts are with all of you that are having to deal with this.

I've been wanting to go to Australia for as long as I can remember, but still have never been. I would like to go this year and I'll try hard to do so. I wish I could make it out soon so as to aid programs aiming at clean up and restoration.

Your country seems so beautiful, it's a shame things like this have to happen. Same to those in Brazil and Sri Lanka. :(

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

not until it was actually "beneficial" for the media. ;)

19. nongsung, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015

nongsung macrumors newbie