Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is this the worst post you've ever seen?

• Yes it is

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Yes it is

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Yes it is

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Ryand123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
So I pre ordered an iPhone 14 Pro Max but since I was stuck in Processing purgatory I decided to go to my Verizon store down the street to see if I lucked out and they had a deep purple 128 GB in stock. But.............a woman was in front of me and an elderly couple was behind them in line. If I say anything further I will be accused of extreme sexism and ageism so let's move on. Let's just say it seemed like it might be awhile and I had to get back to work so I aborted mission.

But while I was waiting I did stroll over and check out the Galaxy S8+ Tab. Holy cow what a display. This thing is 12.4 inches of OLED heaven. Excuse me..........AMOLED heaven. So sorry Samsung. I have a 2021 11 inch iPad Pro. It's a great screen but come on......it can't hold a candle to this thing. I've actually never even seen the 12.9 Mini LED iPad but I'm guessing even that doesn't match it. Plus 12.9 is just a bit too big for a tablet. The 12.4 inches seemed just bordering on too big but not quite getting there.

But this is the most annoying thing about the Apple walled garden. Apple likes to take foreverrrrr on everything. On some things they might be justified. Even with OLED. Sometimes battery life might suffer. Sometimes brightness isn't quite as good. They can argue they are waiting for the technology to mature and only then will they switch. Maybe we can buy that. Or maybe they just don't want to spend the extra money on OLED iPad displays and eat into their profit margin?

I still remember waiting out the large screen iPhones and almost hating myself for it since I have lousy vision. I should have jumped ship to Android when they went to larger screen smartphones when Apple went baby steps. 3.5 to 4 to 5.5 to 6.5 to 6.7......it's like waiting for Godot over here. I tried---I bought 2 Samsung Galaxy phones and an HTC phone. But of course I came crawling back.

What is my point? I'm actually not sure. Frankly I've had a couple of beers. But should I just get the S8+? Why wait around for Apple? iMessages and FaceTime are the only things that really keep people locked in. Is the Galaxy Tab worth it?

Well it seems I hit the poll button by accident so this is going to be a poll whether we like it or not

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Depends on whether the display is the most important aspect of a device for you or not. Needless to say, the differences between the two ecosystems are extensive and one has to decide what elements are most important. There is no universal answer, just personal preferences.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
So I pre ordered an iPhone 14 Pro Max but since I was stuck in Processing purgatory I decided to go to my Verizon store down the street to see if I lucked out and they had a deep purple 128 GB in stock. But.............a woman was in front of me and an elderly couple was behind them in line. If I say anything further I will be accused of extreme sexism and ageism so let's move on. Let's just say it seemed like it might be awhile and I had to get back to work so I aborted mission.

But while I was waiting I did stroll over and check out the Galaxy S8+ Tab. Holy cow what a display. This thing is 12.4 inches of OLED heaven. Excuse me..........AMOLED heaven. So sorry Samsung. I have a 2021 11 inch iPad Pro. It's a great screen but come on......it can't hold a candle to this thing. I've actually never even seen the 12.9 Mini LED iPad but I'm guessing even that doesn't match it. Plus 12.9 is just a bit too big for a tablet. The 12.4 inches seemed just bordering on too big but not quite getting there.

But this is the most annoying thing about the Apple walled garden. Apple likes to take foreverrrrr on everything. On some things they might be justified. Even with OLED. Sometimes battery life might suffer. Sometimes brightness isn't quite as good. They can argue they are waiting for the technology to mature and only then will they switch. Maybe we can buy that. Or maybe they just don't want to spend the extra money on OLED iPad displays and eat into their profit margin?

I still remember waiting out the large screen iPhones and almost hating myself for it since I have lousy vision. I should have jumped ship to Android when they went to larger screen smartphones when Apple went baby steps. 3.5 to 4 to 5.5 to 6.5 to 6.7......it's like waiting for Godot over here. I tried---I bought 2 Samsung Galaxy phones and an HTC phone. But of course I came crawling back.

What is my point? I'm actually not sure. Frankly I've had a couple of beers. But should I just get the S8+? Why wait around for Apple? iMessages and FaceTime are the only things that really keep people locked in. Is the Galaxy Tab worth it?

Well it seems I hit the poll button by accident so this is going to be a poll whether we like it or not
Excellent, an entire post in bold is usually a good sanity indicator. Especially when comparing Samsung devices to Apple devices you have never seen. All makes perfect sense.

perezr10

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
MaxTech did a comparison of the 12.9” iPad Pro vs the S8+ and found the iPad Pro to be superior on multiple levels, not just the display. Better speakers, faster storage speeds, much greater CPU performance, etc.

They preferred watching movies on the MiniLED because the S8+ AMOLED screen was a lot dimmer, had worse viewing angles, and had an extremely reflective screen. Everything looked better on the iPad. Of course, I don’t know how the 11” iPad would’ve fared in such a comparison.

I believe they did a follow up video later and found gaming to be much superior on the M1 iPad Pro as well.

Ryand123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
Excellent, an entire post in bold is usually a good sanity indicator. Especially when comparing Samsung devices to Apple devices you have never seen. All makes perfect sense.
Wow you maddddddd. Did you miss the part where I said I did see it and used it for about 5 minutes?

Ryand123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
WHAT DO YOU MEAN I COULD NOT BE MORE SANE.

Ryand123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
MaxTech did a comparison of the 12.9” iPad Pro vs the S8+ and found the iPad Pro to be superior on multiple levels, not just the display. Better speakers, faster storage speeds, much greater CPU performance, etc.

They preferred watching movies on the MiniLED because the S8+ AMOLED screen was a lot dimmer, had worse viewing angles, and had an extremely reflective screen. Everything looked better on the iPad. Of course, I don’t know how the 11” iPad would’ve fared in such a comparison.

I believe they did a follow up video later and found gaming to be much superior on the M1 iPad Pro as well.

Yeah but there's another issue. Eye health. According to some studies at least (not all conducted by those trying to marked OLED products) OLED is better for it. Also better for sleep. Less blue light. And of course no backlight. I suspect there might be something to this. When I compare the exact same image on my OLED iPhone and my LCD iPad, a white background does seem a bit softer and less harsh even at roughly equivalent levels of brightness. Self emissive pixel lighting just seems more forgiving to the eyes than backlighting. And of course the ABL which kicks in with OLED with white images to preserve itself may accidentally benefit the eyes as well.

I have a funny feeling if and when Apple finally does switch to OLED on iPads and perhaps one day even Macbooks and the Studio Display they will be touting this themselves. They have been known to disparage things they don't have--until they have them and then do a 180 and praise them to high heaven. Tim Cook once said OLED was terrible and inaccurate. A few years later iPhones switched to OLED. Of course he could argue OLED improved and only then did it become Apple worthy but still.

Benlurks1010

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2022
The Samsung screens do sound nice, but you have to sacrifice raw power for them…as far as I can tell, the M1 chip is way better than anything in a Galaxy tab and we’re expecting to get m2 iPads very soon. We just need Apple to make good on their promise of a more “desktop class” experience to actually utilize that power, and it will be a no-brainer.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Wow you maddddddd. Did you miss the part where I said I did see it and used it for about 5 minutes?
I did see indeed where you wrote:

I've actually never even seen the 12.9 Mini LED iPad but I'm guessing even that doesn't match it.”

QED.
Bolded for you free of charge.

Reactions: RevTEG

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I have the Tab S8 Ultra and the 11 inch iPad Pro(M1).
Also have the S22 Ultra and iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Samsung wins on the display side in both categories. It's not the color, cause even viewing something in B&W looks better on the Samsung device. And it's not the PPI. I honestly don't know what it is. It just has such a crisp quality to it.

Reactions: arkitect

Ryand123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
I have the Tab S8 Ultra and the 11 inch iPad Pro(M1).
Also have the S22 Ultra and iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Samsung wins on the display side in both categories. It's not the color, cause even viewing something in B&W looks better on the Samsung device. And it's not the PPI. I honestly don't know what it is. It just has such a crisp quality to it.
I think it's OLED. There's just a magic sauce OLED has that makes LCD look just a little bit plain Jane by comparison. Oh wait.....the Pro Max is OLED too. So I don't know.

Technerd108

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2021
Why not just get the Samsung and try it for yourself? If you are going to wait out Apple you might be waiting a while.

Having an iPad Air 5th gen and a regular tab s8 there is a big difference in terms of performance and software experience. The M1 as I am sure you know on an iPad is a beast and as much as I like Samsung iPad OS is just better. It is smoother, doesn’t glitch, has faster updates usually, and works seamlessly with your phone and Mac if you have one.

You could get the S8 plus and see how much you like it. Then you can compare the experience and see if it is worth it for the screen. In some cases it might be. But you could keep your 11” iPad Pro as well and then you would have the best of both worlds. For certain tasks I like the 16 x 10 aspect ratio better but for others prefer the iPad.

If I were you and could only keep one device it would be the iPad. Samsung does offer some great trade in deals and discounts so you might wait for the holiday and see if you could get one at a discount.

Only you can decide what is best and the only way to do that is to actually use it for a while and see if it fits your use the best.

OLED screens are nice and Samsung makes some of the best but they never put any anti-reflective coatings on their screens and that can be annoying in certain lighting conditions.

GalaxyTab8Plus

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2022

Look at my username. Buy the S8+. There is objectively nothing more beautiful than super amoled, pencil is better, the aspect ratio is easier to handle, there is functioning file management and you can get a terabyte of storage by buying an SD card plus Samsung UI has lots of amazing features and 4 year software support.

NOW. To clarify I don't have an S8+, I have an Air 4, I love this tablet, I regularly hug it and my philosophy is be happy with what you have. But it is what it is.

Reactions: redcarlsen

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Look at my username. Buy the S8+. There is objectively nothing more beautiful than super amoled, pencil is better, the aspect ratio is easier to handle, there is functioning file management and you can get a terabyte of storage by buying an SD card plus Samsung UI has lots of amazing features and 4 year software support.

NOW. To clarify I don't have an S8+, I have an Air 4, I love this tablet, I regularly hug it and my philosophy is be happy with what you have. But it is what it is.
Why is your user name Tab8Plus if you don't even own a Samsung tablet?

GalaxyTab8Plus

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2022
Why is your user name Tab8Plus if you don't even own a Samsung tablet?
Get ready for useless trivia.

I just chose it as a joke, but actually I got an iPad and although I liked it I got annoyed by the limitations and felt like I'm not getting my money’s worth (and wanted an S8+)…but then I later realized it was just the consumerism talking.
I mean yeah if I would not have an iPad I may rather buy a Samsung, but these devices are already mind blowingly capable, there is so much I can do with it that thinking about what else I would buy is a waste of time.

I may have to register a new account because yeah I dont want ppl to think Im writing from a Galaxy Tab:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.