Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Developers coding for iOS 11 will be able to create apps that can read NFC tags, opening the door for the wireless exchange of information between an iPhone and various connected devices in a user's environment.

The NFC chip in the iPhone is currently only used to handle contactless Apple Pay transactions and Passbook check-ins, but a new framework detailed in a developer resource published shortly after Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote on Monday lays the foundation for multiple use cases by third-party apps.

applepay-800x395.png

Called "Core NFC", the framework will allow apps to read Near Field Communication tags that are compatible with the NFC Data Exchange Format (NDEF), which is supported by iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus handsets. The developer support document overview describes the possibilities afforded by the new framework like so:
"Your app can read tags to give users more information about their physical environment and the real-world objects in it. For example, your app might give users information about products they find in a store or exhibits they visit in a museum."
Apple has limited third-party access to NFC hardware since it first appeared in the iPhone 6, and has closely guarded the technology, as evidenced in the company's ongoing spat with Australian banks eager to use Apple's Wallet NFC implementation in their own apps.

However, the possibilities for NFC outside of banking look set to expand with Apple's next-generation mobile operating systems. Indeed, Apple also demonstrated a new use case for NFC in Watch OS 4, which will allow the Apple Watch to interface with gym equipment and transfer fitness data like heart rate and calorie burn between devices in real time.

How privacy concerns surrounding NFC interfacing will be overcome remains to be seen, but it should be interesting to see the various use cases developers can come up with once iOS 11 launches in the fall.

(Via Engadget.)

Article Link: Developer Access to iPhone's NFC Chip Coming in iOS 11

NexusUser

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2016
Does that mean Google will be able to port Android Pay to the iPhone? Or those Australian Bank's can make their own payment app?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Does that mean Google will be able to port Android Pay to the iPhone? Or those Australian Bank's can make their own payment app?

Yes, Quite possibly
[doublepost=1496832519][/doublepost]That's an Apple AppStore restriction rather than API restriction I assume?

Lame!

No. I think it's not allowed for banking apps of any kind.
[doublepost=1496832549][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1496833302][/doublepost]
So many possibilities here. NFC for the.masses at last!

NFC for the masses has been here for a long time - available on android phones!

Reactions: huperniketes

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
I hope companies will be able to use the iphones NFC instead of employee passes, that would be great!

I wonder if a ‘copy and paste’ type application will be allowed?

Eg, you scan a nfc tag, save its data, then re-send it again later... could be dangerous in the wrong hands!

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Would love this for hotel rooms! Recently stayed at a Hilton and they had Digital Key, but it required unlocking my phone and loading up the app. Unlock process was long too. However, putting my phone up to the lock activated ApplePay so as they already support NFC, hopefully a "touch phone to door to unlock" can become a reality here!

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Would love this for my subway pass which can be bought online but has to be loaded to my nfc chip card.

slammer0

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Does this mean employers will be able to replace those darn NFC access card?

Oh and my public transit pass too!? That would be amazing I always forget them!

If so, the only thing left in my wallet will be my drivers license, I wonder how Apple will solve this one out!

Unfortunately not, this is read only. But they might add someting in iOS 12... As for the drivers license - in Poland we have something like government issued app that acts as your ID etc. and the rollout has in some cities.

Now we only need an infinite battery capacity in our phones.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Awesome! This; and the biggest news from WWDC for me is that WatchOS finally gets native Bluetooth support so we can use IBEACONS! That's massive. Proper home automations sense from your watch on a per room or per location basis. I can't wait :D

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois

View attachment 702771

If so, the only thing left in my wallet will be my drivers license, I wonder how Apple will solve this one out!
Yes, death of the office door FOB and train passes/cards/terrible apps!

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA

View attachment 702771

Yes, death of the office door FOB and train passes/cards/terrible apps!

NFC isn't RFID. However, I just ran across an article stating that if you have a robotphone, potentially you could write an application to have an (possibly specific?) NFC chip emit an RFID signal.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Unfortunately not, this is read only. But they might add someting in iOS 12... As for the drivers license - in Poland we have something like government issued app that acts as your ID etc. and the rollout has in some cities.

Now we only need an infinite battery capacity in our phones.

It only needs to be read, for things like Public Transit. After the data is read from NFC, the transit reader communicates back to the application server and sends the transaction and updates your account accordingly. This is how many implementations work at the moment.

Last edited:

andrchup

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2017

Developers coding for iOS 11 will be able to create apps that can read NFC tags, opening the door for the wireless exchange of information between an iPhone and various connected devices in a user's environment.

The NFC chip in the iPhone is currently only used to handle contactless Apple Pay transactions and Passbook check-ins, but a new framework detailed in a developer resource published shortly after Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote on Monday lays the foundation for multiple use cases by third-party apps.

applepay-800x395.png

Called "Core NFC", the framework will allow apps to read Near Field Communication tags that are compatible with the NFC Data Exchange Format (NDEF), which is supported by iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus handsets. The developer support document overview describes the possibilities afforded by the new framework like so:
Apple has limited third-party access to NFC hardware since it first appeared in the iPhone 6, and has closely guarded the technology, as evidenced in the company's ongoing spat with Australian banks eager to use Apple's Wallet NFC implementation in their own apps.

However, the possibilities for NFC outside of banking look set to expand with Apple's next-generation mobile operating systems. Indeed, Apple also demonstrated a new use case for NFC in Watch OS 4, which will allow the Apple Watch to interface with gym equipment and transfer fitness data like heart rate and calorie burn between devices in real time.

How privacy concerns surrounding NFC interfacing will be overcome remains to be seen, but it should be interesting to see the various use cases developers can come up with once iOS 11 launches in the fall.

(Via Engadget.)

Article Link: Developer Access to iPhone's NFC Chip Coming in iOS 11

Sounds good. What about NFC enabled iPads?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
No reason it shouldn't work with the 6s.

From the story - indeed looks like iPhone 7 and onwards... :-(
"Called "Core NFC", the framework will allow apps to read Near Field Communication tags that are compatible with the NFC Data Exchange Format (NDEF), which is supported by iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus handsets. The developer support document overview describes the possibilities afforded by the new framework like so:"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.