Developer Connection MBP prices

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Billydelp4, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Billydelp4 macrumors regular

anyone else notice that the mid-grade MBP is cheaper than the base-line?

lol

Attached Files:

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yep, it's the first thing I noticed when the new MBPs were released. They're like that because the base MacBook Pro increased by $100, but the discount amounts stayed the same percent from the last cycle.

The base MBP is 10% off, and all the rest are 20% off. I've been wondering if Apple is going to fix this.

3. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

How much does it cost to join the program to be able to use the store?

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

5. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I should have bought that first. I'm in the iPhone developer program but never heard of a discount.

6. Indus macrumors newbie

Indus

Interesting.

I'm assuming that must be a rolled forward discount from a previous ADC Select or Student membership?

Sadly it isn't actually available anymore - the $99 developer membership (iPhone or OS X) no longer include any hardware discounts. Of course, the old ADC Select was considerably more than $99.

7. Billydelp4 thread starter macrumors regular

I believe student developer packages start at $99. but they only have a 1 time developer store purchase

8. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I noticed it immediately yesterday. Same thing with the Canadian ADC store.

[​IMG]

It's because the first 3 MBP are 10% discounted, while the latter are 20% discounted.

Correct. While no longer available, those who have it (myself included) will continue to have their discount until their membership expires. Even if you renew to the new program, you still lose the discount if you haven't used it from what I'm aware of. I have 9 months left to use mine.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I was wondering about that, since it used to be $499. That's a shame.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Looks like you're right:

11. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I'm gonna use mine for sure on a new MBP this summer just before school starts in September, but if that doesn't happen (doubt it), I'll probably raffle it off on MacRumors.

12. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Dates

Anybody know the exact dates the student ADC changed? I was a registered student developer but had not paid my $99. When I checked after the release of the i5 MBP, the system had changed and I was no longer eligible to pay and get the discount.

13. cryer macrumors regular

So let's say you're in the $99 iPhone dev program now for over a year (renewed once), are you eligible for the discount?

14. creeman macrumors 6502

You were never eligible for a discount with the $99 iPhone Developer Account. Only people with the ADC account were eligible for hardware discounts.

15. cryer macrumors regular

That membership is also $99 now too right?

16. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

The discounts aren't available anymore unless you have an existing membership. Signing up for the $99 Mac Dev Program doesn't get you any hardware discounts.

17. cryer macrumors regular

So what you're saying is there is no discount available for developers anymore at all unless you belonged to the dev program before 2000-something? A dev discount store page exists though.

18. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

That is correct. Unless you have an existing membership in which the 1 year membership hasn't expired (ADC Premier, Select or Student), you can't order from the store. The store only exists for those who are still eligible. I would assume that some time in 2011 when there are no more ADC with the old membership, that Apple would remove the stores.

Apple changed the dev program in March 2010. Had you signed up before March 5, 2010, you would get access to purchase from the store.