Developer folder

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hack a mac, Mar 4, 2009.

1. hack a mac macrumors newbie

I think I erased some of the things in the developer folder on the new Macbook. can someone take a screen shot, or tell me what is in the developer folder so I can restore it.
    Thanks

2. hack a mac thread starter macrumors newbie

PS
    I was erasing the Developer Folder because I wanted to get rid of the SDK of iphone, and it was all in there.

3. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I am pretty sure the developer folder is only created when you install Xcode and/or the SDK.

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Applications and utilities found in the developer folder aren't useful to you if you're not a developer. If you think you're missing some things that you actually use, you can install them by inserting your Mac OS X DVD and choosing to install the extras, not a new copy of Mac OS X though.

If you're not a developer, you can delete the whole folder and free up valuable space.

To humour you, my developer folder:

Attached Files:

5. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

If your not a developer, then you probably didn't delete anything important. It was probably empty (or close to it) to begin with. Mine was empty until I downloaded the Developer Tools disk image from the Apple Developer Connection and installed it.

This is what's in there, after you've installed the Developer Tools package, by the way:

[​IMG]

6. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

You don't have to download it from Apple's site, it comes on your Mac OS X installation discs. Of course, there will be updates, but it's large to download when you don't need to.

7. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Unfortunately I didn't have my install discs on me at the time I needed to install it. And your right... it was one hell of a download!

8. hack a mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, how would I do this? would there be any risk of erasing my whole HD?

9. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Just drag the whole developer folder to the trash. There's no chance of erasing your disk... it's just like deleting a regular folder.

10. hack a mac thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean to get all of the things back into my developer folder. Do I just put in my CD that came with my macbook??

11. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Yes, but as before stated many many times before, if you're not a developer, you don't need any of the tools. There's no use in having it just to "have it." Without it, you can free up valuable hard drive space.

12. hack a mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, could I just for until Snow Leopard, and install that, and would I get that stuff back???
    Thanks

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes if you reinstalled the SDK you get that stuff back.