Developer Profit for App Store Apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pj rage, Sep 3, 2008.

1. pj rage macrumors 6502

So let me get this straight, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Say I'm toying around developing apps for the app store.

I get 70% of all sales of my apps, right? So if I'm clever enough to develop an app that I charge $0.99 for, and it's desirable enough that 100,000 people want it, which totals $99,000, will I have $69,300 deposited to my bank account (taxable, of course) ???

There must be some people getting freaking rich. Obviously corporate companies that are putting in serious development time aren't making as much pure profit, but the basement developer is really turning profit, it seems. What am I missing?

Hell, even if I develop a (relatively) weak app that only sells like 1000 copies, $693 bucks in my account is $693 I didn't have before!

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

You're quite far behind and missed the first wave of gold rush.

3. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Agreed. Most users have wised up to the "wack" apps out there, now that the initial novelty period has passed for most users, so the days of these poor apps selling bucket loads will be coming to an end (I hope).
    If your app is cheap and pretty good (Koi Pond for example), then yes, you'll be raking it in.

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Although every stupid idea have been exhausted by now, there could still be one or two left that will make some easy bucks.

Ps. I had a list of stupid apps I could have made, now the list is completely crossed out.

5. pj rage thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm actually not seriously considering developing, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the fact that there are kids in their basements with 10s of thousands of dollars in the bank for doing (in alot of cases) such little work. I know I've missed the bus - it just still blows my mind. I figured I must be missing something. Guess not.