Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

154625-whereto_ios5_crash_500.jpg

iPhone developer FutureTap today noted today that it has received its first crash report from a device running iOS 5.0, suggesting that Apple is testing the operating system with third-party applications.
Just received the first iOS 5.0 crash report. MKUserLocationBreadCrumb sounds interesting.
Future Tap also posted a screenshot of the crash report.

As noted by 9 to 5 Mac, the "MKUserLocationBreadCrumb" API is unsurprisingly related to mapping and location functions, a primary component of FutureTap's Where To? application.

FutureTap and Apple have a bit of an interesting history, with some controversy having arisen last year when an Apple patent application containing a figure that was essentially an uncredited duplication of the Where To? interface surfaced. Apple later clarified that it was not seeking to patent anything related to Where To? and that the figure was for illustrative purposes only, but noted that it would investigate updating the patent application with proper attribution.

Article Link: Developer Sees First Crash Report From iOS 5.0

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Wouldn't you assume that they are under a NDA for this kind of thing? Seems pretty silly to risk your business to post something like this, or to even take a chance that it could create a problem.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Wouldn't you assume that they are under a NDA for this kind of thing? Seems pretty silly to risk your business to post something like this, or to even take a chance that it could create a problem.

As long as they're not officially on the record saying that they have played around with or seen it in person, I don't see what the problem is.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
This must be fake. Apple is clearly not working on a new iOS. They're too busy stalking us from the bushes. /end sarcasm

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
No? It's a crash report sent to the developer from an iPhone running iOS 5. They don't actually have the device. I think you misunderstand what actually happened.

You could also expect that some Web Server HTTP access.log files will also have evidence of a new user agent related to the version of Safari on the iPhone 5 device. That is, if they use Safari from the new iPhone 5 phone.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
You could also expect that some Web Server HTTP access.log files will also have evidence of a new user agent related to the version of Safari on the iPhone 5 device. That is, if they use Safari from the new iPhone 5 phone.
I have always wondered how a user agent string can be taken as proof of anything. It is way too easy to spoof.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
iOS 5 this fall?

Maybe. Maybe not. We have no reason to think so, but I'm a strong believer in the idea that we'll see iOS 5 come out this summer, unrealated to any hardware updates.

Mac OS comes out on its own without a new Mac at the same time. Why shouldn't iOS? It does run on 3 different kinds of hardware, after all. Why tie it to an update of just one of them?

Just a hunch, but I think this the year iOS updates will be un-hooked from iPhone updates.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Maybe. Maybe not. We have no reason to think so, but I'm a strong believer in the idea that we'll see iOS 5 come out this summer, unrealated to any hardware updates.

If it was coming out in June or July, there'd be a developer preview already.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ

Mac OS comes out on its own without a new Mac at the same time. Why shouldn't iOS? It does run on 3 different kinds of hardware, after all. Why tie it to an update of just one of them?

Just a hunch, but I think this the year iOS updates will be un-hooked from iPhone updates.

I really hope exactly this happens.

There is only one flaw with your theory though. The latest and greatest iOS is ALWAYS designed around and intimately integrated with the newest/nest hardware. It is then degraded and compromised to run on older hardware.

The iPad 1 and iPhone 3GS run iOS 4 well....but not terribly great. Not nearly as well as iPhone 4, or iPad 2.

Same will be the case with iPhone 5/iPod touch 5. iOS 5 will run the best on those devices, because its built for them, and then it will be just OK on the iPhone 4, iPad 1, etc....

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ

There are no rules. It will be unveiled in the first week of June w/ developer preview, with a release about 60-80 days later.

August will be an awesome month for Apple software, as I'm pretty certain we'll receive Lion and iOS 5 about the same time, and its going to leap the Apple platform another 4-5 years ahead, once again.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

How long do they usually give them? I thought it was in the 6-week range. Is it more?

Same will be the case with iPhone 5/iPod touch 5. iOS 5 will run the best on those devices, because its built for them, and then it will be just OK on the iPhone 4, iPad 1, etc....

That's true for the past, but these devices are starting to get very fast. I fully believe that this time around iOS 5 will run pretty much the same on an iPhone 5 as it will on an iPhone 4.

I think certain apps will be able to run better on an iPhone 5 (think games), but we're reaching a point where the hardware is more than fast enough to run the OS itself without the sort of trouble that past iPhones had. I think that by 2012 we'll see iOS easily run well on the most recent 3 models rather than only running well on the current model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.