Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
i cant find the store with the developer prices on it.....i dont have a developer membership yet....do i need to purchase one first before i can see the store for developers? i log in with my developer username and click store, but then all i get are the 4 different memberships i can choose from....

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
ah thanks a lot man

and the machine comes with the standard manufacturer warranty? and how do i verify my student status?

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
derajfast said:
ah thanks a lot man

and the machine comes with the standard manufacturer warranty? and how do i verify my student status?

Of your doing the Student Developers Membership, you have to send them a current photo ID and your school schedule by fax

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
cnakeitaro said:
Of your doing the Student Developers Membership, you have to send them a current photo ID and your school schedule by fax

how do i fax them my id? scan, print, and then fax that?

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
Discounts

Do you guys know how much is the Student Developer Discount in comparison to the regular education discount? Thanks

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
asencif said:
Do you guys know how much is the Student Developer Discount in comparison to the regular education discount? Thanks
From the links it looks like the dev. discount is 10%, for a 17" iMac where the edu discount is $1299-$100 this translates to about $30.

B

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
asencif said:

I know you can get a once in a lifetime 20% off deal. It drops the highend MB Pro to $1999 if thats what you are asking. So you save an extra $200 and I believe you save more on the upgrades as well. Looks like the only thing you don't save money on is the Applecare but you can always buy that seperately with your student discount.

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
balamw said:
From the links it looks like the dev. discount is 10%, for a 17" iMac where the edu discount is $1299-$100 this translates to about $30.

B

Hmm...It looks like the Developer is more though assuming those prices on the Dev. store also applies to Students Devs.

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
Developer use

balamw said:
It's certainly a better deal, if you really plan to use it for development, but don't forget the additional limitations that come with that. http://developer.apple.com/membership/pdf/terms.pdf

And the $99 to become a student developer....

B

After reading the agreement it does have some limitations, but must one develop an app with it? I mean do they check up on that. Especially, if I'm a student and just learning how to code.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
asencif said:
After reading the agreement it does have some limitations, but must one develop an app with it? I mean do they check up on that. Especially, if I'm a student and just learning how to code.
Xcode is free, you can learn to code without ADC membership.

I doubt they check, just like they for edu purchases.

On the 2 GHz MBP you could save up to $100 off of the EDU price, even after paying $99 for the ADC membership which is starting to be worth the effort.

B

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
asencif said:

If you read it, they say nothing about having to develop with it. Its a set of tools to get you started. I'm a business major and I'm signing up. Says nothing about having to have a certain major either.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
cnakeitaro said:
If you read it, they say nothing about having to develop with it. Its a set of tools to get you started. I'm a business major and I'm signing up. Says nothing about having to have a certain major either.
:confused:

6. You may not resell or otherwise transfer any items purchased for a period of at least one year from the date of shipment. You may use products that you order under the ADC Hardware Purchase Program only for the purpose of developing software and/or hardware products that will be sold for use with Apple products.
B

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'm learning XCode but most of the programs I wanted to write for OS X were just written in the past month. So, I'll continue on but I'm thinking I can just pull it off with Apple Script or hammering the other programmers for features in the apps already out.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Did I read correctly that all developer sales come with no warranty?

Also, I noticed that some discounts are great ($500 off MBP!) and some aren't as good as the student discount (displays)

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
I don't know about no warranty, but I would be buying Applecare with it anyways, altho i would buy it seperately since its better ordering it from the Education Store.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
5. No Warranty. You understand that all ADC Materials provided to you by Apple are supplied
“AS IS” AND WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS TO
THEIR PERFORMANCE, ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. To the
extent that Apple makes available any products or product information, you understand that Apple is
under no obligation to provide updates, enhancements, or corrections, or to notify you of any product
changes that Apple may make, or to publicly announce or introduce the product(s) at any time in the
future.

I don't know if buying an imac for example falls under this or not, but if it does it raises some eyebrows. Although I never considered applecare.

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
No Warranty

I understood that as it pertaining to the materials you receive when you join the Developer connection and not Hardware purchases. Of course I would get AppleCare for a Quad, if I was to buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.