Developer Tools and the Mac Book

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by igmolinav, Sep 6, 2008.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

My cousin's Mac Book came with a DVD that has "Developer Tools".

What are these for ?? Are they only files that help you create programs or somehow repair other products with the use of the computer.

Please excuse my ignorance. I was only curious.

Thank you in advance, kind regards,

igmolinav.

P.S. He didn't install them yet, will he be missing something ??
    Should he install them, are they of any help ??

2. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

P.S.2. Will it affect in anyway the Mac Book if it is installed. I mean, will all the applications need to be installed again, or would there be any kind of setback if it is done ??? Thank you again, igmolinav

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They are the developer tools: software and documentation to write OSX software (and in later version iPhone software too). Apart from using quite a bit of disk space you won't harm anything by installing them.

If you do want to install them I'd recommend creating a free developer account at developer.apple.com and downloading the latest tools (free). The ones you get with a machine tend to be a version or two out of date...

4. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. Basically, the reason for installing the developer tools, is because apparently they install on the Mac Book the following files:

/usr/local/lib

According to a friend these are the files we need to further work on other things.

Are these files, included with the Developer Tools ?? or the tools given at
    developer.apple.com ??

Thank you very much again,

igmolinav

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That's not a file. It's a directory. It contains a large number of library files. If you need something in that directory you may well need the developer tools, you may not. As you've not said what the library you need is, or what you are trying to do I can't really say.

The developer tools include XCode, Interface Building, the command line compilers and all required support files.

6. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you again. I tell you a little bit of what we are doing:

We are doing work on an iPhone (not the 3G), the Wi-Fi address is not right and we want to change it. So we want to get some files to that directory and then use an application called ibooter.

However, the MacBook we used the first time to do it didn't have that directory. We want to add it so we can do the above.

Thank you again, kind regards,

igmolinav

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Well if you don't need the developer tools and only need the directory to exist just create it.

Open the terminal and type
    Code:
    mkdir /usr/local/lib

then hit return.

8. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

As far as I am concerned I don't think we need the developer tools. Apparently, all we need is to have that directory.

If I may ask, I'll ask you another question. My cousin is the one who has the Macbook and he has Mac OS X 10.5.4

I have been "chasing and almost begging" my cousin to get together with me to work out the iPhone's problem. That, because we have been following "a probable fallacy" in which one must and only have Mac OS X 10.5 or higher in order to fix this iPhone problem. He is the one who has a Mac Book with the the updated Mac OS X and I have my ibook with Mac OS X 10.4.11, (I've had no money to update).

I should be able to work things out with ibook, shoudn't I ?? otherwise I don't see a difference for this specific purpose to have OS X 10.5.4 that I'll eventually get, or is there a significant difference ??

Thank you very much again, I'll go and create that directory. Hopefully, I can "cure" myself the iPhone.

Kind regards,

igmolinav

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've no idea. You're messing around with stuff that sounds very sketchy. If it says it needs OSX 10.5.4 the it needs 10.5.4. Contact the developer of the software you are using for details...

10. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you very much for all your help : ) !!! I'll contact these people and ask them. I'll keep you posted.

Kind regards,

igmolinav.