Developers and new iPhone screen resolution..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dylanpd9121, May 5, 2010.

1. dylanpd9121 macrumors newbie

Kinda new here, so don't kill me with this.

The new iPhone that they found, said that it had a obviously higher resolution screen. So high, they couldn't even see the individual pixels. So my question is, wouldn't apple have to send a message to developers saying to make apps designed for a XXX x XXX screen resolution? Or will they do that after the new iPhone is announced?

Thanks!

2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

The rumor is that it would be double the pixels in each direction. This would allow for existing apps to just be "stretched out" along the extra pixels and then new apps can be built specifically for the higher resolution. This solution wouldn't break any of the existing apps.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yep, I imagine many programs WON'T change anything since they'll look just fine 'as is.'

Many will upgrade, obviously, but I have quite a few where it really won't matter.

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Apple's developer guidelines from day 1 always said to never code for a specific resolution.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Which every game (or anything else with embedded graphics) developer no doubt had to ignore.

You only have so much time and money and reason to create a single resolution set of bitmaps, much less to create higher resolution sets for an unknown future target size.

6. profets macrumors 68040

Is there any way to develop an app independent of resolution? Obviously the aspect ratio is something that has to be set, but I would guess that there would be some sort of way that graphics/objects could be vector based and later on an app compiled for a specific resolution.

Anyway, if its true about 960x640 for the new iPhone, then old apps should look fine since 1 pixel is being replaced by 4. Actually pretty crazy to think of ppi density so high.

7. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

I'm sure this is theoretically possible, but in practice I doubt that every card game and fart app developer bothered to do this ;)