Developers: any feedback on Mute/Orientation lock??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pinger, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Pinger macrumors regular

I was wondering if the Developers here have been able to give input/feedback to Apple concerning the hardware orientation lock?? Honestly in my case after a week of using 4.2GM that switch has not been used once.. It was just a bad idea if you ask me..
    Perfect solution would be to add a settings within "Settings" to give the owner the option of choosing if they want to use this switch as a Mute or as a Hardware Orientation Lock..

2. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

When I first installed the 4.2 beta 1, I didn't use the button either. But after getting used to it, i'm actually using it more often as a mute switch than I used the orientation lock.

3. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Yea, because it's there. You were just fine with muting it the "old way" right?

I rarely have any qualms with my apple gear, but this change is down right ridiculous.

4. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Muting the old method actually was inconvenient for several reasons: I couldn't mute unless I unlocked the iPad and relocked it, now I can; Muting by holding the volume down button would mean i'd need to frustratingly put the volume up again when I was done, but now it's either on or off; and previously, there was no way to mute emails and other kinds of notification while watching video, now I can.

I admit, it's irritating having to get used to a different orientation locking control method, which also requires more steps too, but I need to mute far more often than I need to lock orientation—while that may not be true of everyone, i'm personally actually quite happy Apple made this change.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I agreed, I love the change.